Monday, May 31, 2010

training 5/31-6/6

5/31- Planned to do a moderate progression. Ended up with a 1 Mile time trial in a blazing 7:45. Just a hair short of my best time in 4th grade. Why do I believe in alternative medicine? When I took SSRIs, every day was like this. In fact, it would have been one of my better days.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0
PM- Improvement. Downward ladder workout. Mile in 6:31 with a negative split. I was just hoping for a sub-7. 4 minute R then an 800 in 3:08, another full R followed by a 400 in 78 in which I actually felt somewhat like myself. Okay, the Lithium made things worse and so did the SBF. Stimulants helped. What does that mean? Could it mean that I have beaten my hyperthyroidism? I'm not getting my hopes up but this is a promising development.
Grade:C-/2 credit/distance=2.0

6/1- Another extremely positive step. This is what I meant to do yesterday morning. Lakeshore 5 progression style with Jason and I left him at the end. How about these splits: 8:00-7:40-7:29-7:14-6:33=36:56 (7:23 pace). 2 weeks ago, I almost averaged my split for the last mile over the entire Trak Shak 5 so I've still got a ways to go but I am clearly on the right track. No Lithium and no SBF but 2 chromium and 2 manganese. I'll try 1 of each tomorrow and steer clear of both Lithium and SBF. Saturday's race is still about 50/50
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

6/2- Felt about the same as yesterday during the day which was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little better. Workout was a group run at the Trak Shak. 8@ 7:45 with an even pace. Still just a tad sluggish and not quite "race sharp." I've only got 3 days to go. If it was a fun run, I'd do it but not a PR attempt. Things can change in 3 days so it's a game time decision.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=8.0

6/3- Tried some adrenal glandular supplements to give me a little pick up and it was not the answer. Not an immediate severe reaction but I was hurting after a few hours. Felt slightly better by the end of the work day but the workout was still baaauuhhd. Plan was 6 1/2 laps with the first 6 at 5K race pace and the last 200 hard to show that I can handle that pace for another 6 laps. Result: I could not even manage 1 mile at race pace. Mile in 6:23. I did show some life at the end (96-99-97-91) and was not totally wiped at the end. Maybe my system will be clear by tomorrow. I was awful 2 days before Mercedes '09 and ran a 6 minute PR on race day. Game time decision. No pills at all tomorrow.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=1.5

6/4- Did not need Lithium but did need something for my low GABA, which had to be taurine. It's back to glutamine tonight. Workout was 1 mile at easy effort with a moderate pick up in the last 200. Overall time of 6:54 was pretty meaningless but the final 200 was a 37.5. Even at 6 PM and with light effort, I was still impacted by the extreme humidity (75%). I still don't feel race sharp but I will give it a shot anyway tomorrow. The forecast at race time is 75 degrees and 90% humidity. Less than ideal.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=1.0

6/5-AM BTC 5K in 19:44. Splits: :40-6:07-6:25-6:32. #5 all time (#3 since comeback). 31 off my all time PR. Under optimal conditions, I feel that I am capable.
Grade:B+/4 credits/distance=4.0
PM- Lakeshore 4 at an uneven effort. Overall time was 29:32 (7:23 pace). Picked up the pace from .5 to 2.0 because I could. This run had to be cut short because I heard thunder. I backed off the pace to near 8 in the 2nd half partly by design and partly because I was tired. Average.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=4.0

6/6- 400 in a disappointing 62.82 then a very weak 2.5 mile cool down. Just didn't have it and really wasn't into it either. Started too slow (31 first 200) but maintained it to the finish. Felt lousy in the evening and needed Lithium or SBF. Dang it!
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=3.0

Weekly summary:
I'm frustrated. I get one day every now and then when I think I've got it all figured out but I just can't stay in the groove like I was last Fall. One positive was that race day was my best day of the week. This mileage has got to come up too. No races for another month.
Distance=30.0/GPA= 34.4/14=2.46

No comments: