Monday, June 29, 2009

Rant: obsessing about celebrities

I don't read People magazine or the celebrity gossip because "it's garbage." I am also sick of all the Michael Jackson coverage on the news pre-empting the normal programming. Now, I am not so callous that I don't care that he's dead. Jackson had a hard life and it's a shame that he went through so much. I'm no fan of psychologists because their counseling does absolutely nothing to help chemical imbalances but it's obvious that he needed professional help. If Jackson ever had the same medical tests that I had, I would look like the picture of perfect health by comparison. I can see how people can become addicted to pain medication and if I was not a Christian, I believe that I would have become addicted to something.

Now on to the rant. I am sick of the media coverage not only about Michael Jackson but of all celebrites. These people may be very talented in just one area of life but outside of that, they could be morons. I'd wager that they are more likely to be morons than the average person. After my race on Saturday, my buddy Nick and I were hanging out by the pool in my apartment complex and listened to several minutes worth of conversation among 3 women who appeared to be roughly our age. It centered around how the hairstyles of Ashlee Simpson and Lindsay Lohan made them more attractive. Who cares? Nick and I just looked at each other and shook our heads. Today, I happened to see on Yahoo that Britney Spears dyed her hair brown. Again, who cares? It's pretty pathetic that so many young people look up to these morons. I could rant for quite awhile about the immaturity of many people in their 20s but that's another subject. Was I ever immature? At 19-21, yes I was but when I finished graduate school at the age of 24, I found it more and more difficult to relate to 18-21 year old undergrads. To anyone who sees these celebs as role models or heroes, here is a list of some real heroes:
-Parents who would do anything for their children because of their unconditional love.
-Lifeguards who save people from drowning. The random person who sees a baby fall into a pool and jumps in to save the life.
-Firefighters who risk their lives to pull people out of a burning building
- Military personnel who put their lives on the line in their service to this great nation.
-Great teachers who inspire young kids to do something great with their lives.

How many of these true heroes ever make the national news? Many firefighters died on 9/11 in an effort to find survivors. I don't know anything about any of these people or the families that they left behind yet the the following information is widely accessible about celebrites: rumors about who they are dating, their favorite foods and drinks and their fashion choices. Give me a break.

1 comment:

L.A. Runner said...

Yep, you're the reason I crouch in the corner of Walmart when I read People's magazine. LOL.