Monday, January 24, 2011

Training 1/24-1/30

1/24- Victory! I am now convinced that the new stuff is working. Again, I needed 8 pills and I felt awful in the morning until they kicked in. By the evening, I was ready. 5K in 20:45 (6:39 pace). Splits were 6:32-6:44-6:46-43. Actually felt relaxed on the cool down as well. At last, I am within 30 seconds/mile of a PR at a major distance but I've still got a LONG way to go. I was a full lap behind my all time PR of 19:13. Ordinarily, I'm displeased with anything over 20 but this is my best time of the year and a 70 second improvement over my previous time. My first race at this distance will be in late March and I expect to be in sub-20 shape by then. As planned, I will take a rest from time trials and focus on longer distances until my taper.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=5.0

1/25- Plan is on track. Strong MLR today. 10 miles in 79 flat (7:54 pace). Very even pace. 1st half: 39:32, 2nd half 39:28. I was only 7 seconds slower than my 13.1 time trial on Saturday and this pace felt MUCH easier. Heck, even if healthy, I would not push a MLR much harder than this. Only 5K longer and 16 seconds faster per mile and I've got my 1:40 and I wasn't even trying today. There is no grade inflation this time.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=10.0

1/26- 8 mile progression run. 1st 4 miles in 31:30 (7:53 pace), last 4 miles in 29:06 (7:16 pace) for an overall time of 60:36 (7:34). I wanted to get closer to 7:00 pace for those last 4 but as it is, it's still 1:35 half mary pace. My course PR is 7:21 pace for 13.1 and I think I've got a shot at it fresh especially if I continue to improve steadily. Best news is that I didn't feel terrible this morning after not taking a pill for 7 hours. 1/2 mile cool down in honor of Ochocinco.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=8.5

1/27- I must be overtraining because the bizarre dreams have started again. Last night, I dreamed that I got caught with my pants down at work in my cubicle (I was wearing a nice shirt and underpants.) Risky decision to run today but came away unharmed. 3 straight semi-quality days are just too much. Because of my imbalances, my connective tissues don't heal as well, which leaves me more vulnerable to injury. The workout was an easy 5 at Vestavia with a time of 41:27 (8:18 pace). I ran today so I could rest tomorrow, be fresh for my long run and still have a shot at 50+ on the week. The slow time was due solely to natural fatigue. My body feels tired and worn out.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.5

1/28- Body demanded a rest day and I obeyed.

1/29- Lakeshore 15 in 1:56:33 (7:46 pace). Strong performance. Felt comfortable all the way and I had a lot left at the end. 1st 5: 39:18, middle 5: 39:14, last 5: 38:01 with a final mile in 6:55 (1:30 half mary pace) and that last mile was slightly uphill. Again, I have shown noticeable improvement over the past 7 days. I was only 1 tick faster but this run was 2 miles longer and included a few small hills. Most telling of all was that it was not an all out effort. Last week was. Final 13.1 was approx. 1:41:45, which would have been a best time of the year. I think around 1:37 or 1:38 would be a solid effort at Mercedes. Course PR is 1:36:16 and I would be thrilled to beat that one but not upset if I fall a little short.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=15.0

1/30- Trak Shak 8 in 60 degree weather. Spring is still a month away but we got our first taste this weekend. Total distance was 8.17 with an pretty even 7:52 average pace on a hilly route. I rate my performance as average. Not much of a struggle but far from effortless. I've run faster than this on the day after a 20 miler. Paid tribute to Ochocinco again.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=8.5

Weekly summary:
Getting better every week. This one was my best since before the knee injury and the first time that I have topped 50 miles since September. GPA has improved for the 3rd straight week and this was my first one over 3.0 since November. I've still got a long way to go. The final outcome on the medical front will probably not become evident until early summer.
Distance=52.5/GPA= 30.6/10= 3.06

No comments: