Monday, March 7, 2011

Training 3/7-3/13

3/7- Oak Mountain Mile in 5:34.7 (81-85-86-82). No ill-effects at all from yesterday's long run. I was clearly feeling the effects of too much chromium. Just as I feared, I am facing a situation in which the ideal dosage is somewhere between 2 and 3 pills. There has to be a better solution than this. This cannot be as good as it's going to get. I am very interested in my next medical report. My body felt too loose and I was out of breath far too quickly. It felt like riding a bike out of gear. 6 lap cool down at recovery jog pace. There is no subjectivity in grading a Mile time trial. 5:15 is a perfect score and I lose 1 point per second so that's an 81 on the day. Best time of the year and I have split the difference between my previous best and the goal. 19 down, 19 to go.
Grade:B-/3 credits/distance=3.0

3/8- Planned rest day. Good call to run the Mile yesterday. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow morning. I'm feeling quite discouraged. The 5:34 Mile is not that bad but it's the way I felt that mattered. I took 750 mg. of chromium yesterday and my ideal is somewhere between 500 and 750. Is it 600, 650 or 700? I may have to open up capsules and estimate. This sucks and I can't live like this. I'm due to send in my sample to the lab but must wait 2 weeks for the results. I'm sore especially in the foot and shins so it may do some good to take a few slack days this week. Weather looks okay for Saturday.
Edit: 600 mg. is clearly not enough. I did not even have to run to test it. 700 mg tomorrow.

3/9-Moderate effort in the Trak Shak 5. Time was 36:54 (7:23 pace). Mediocre performance. I'm fine with that time but I did not feel well at all. Body was very tight today because I was low on chromium. I took 600 yesterday and 700 today and it wasn't enough. 750 was too much on Monday. Again, I cannot live like this. I am trending up and am still not sure what to do until race day.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.0

3/10- Light workout indoors. 1 Mile at moderate effort-7:03. I took 700 mg. of chromium again and felt the same as yesterday (too tight). Then I took about 100 more and felt better. Another Mile at moderate effort this time in 6:35, which is right about the pace I hope to sustain for 10K. I finished the workout with an easy mile in 7:52 as a cool down. One month ago, 700 mg. of chromium would have knocked me out and kept me in bed for the rest of the day. Now, it's not enough! I will load up tomorrow and Saturday morning and hope to hit it on the nose again for the race. THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME THAT I LOAD ON CHROMIUM! If I keep this up, maybe I'll stabilize, maybe I'll need more and more. Best hope is to reduce ADHS or add more magnesium. Hair sample was sent to the lab today.
Edit: Weight is stable at 157 lbs. and that's right where I want to be.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=3.0

3/11- Planned rest day. No more ADHS, loaded on chromium.

3/12- Silver Comet 10K in 40:55 PR
Grade:A/4 credits/distance=7.0

3/13- Easy 9 on Lakeshore/Trak Shak in 69:57 (7:47 pace). I was out way too fast then backed off to 8:00 pace over the last half. Talked to Johnny for a bit while he was biking. Pretty smooth and relaxed. Good job.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=9.0

Weekly summary:
There has been a massive shift in my body chemistry and I need some more time to sort it all out. Right now, I'm basking in the glory of a shiny new PR. Despite the struggles early in the week, I made my 7th straight 3.0+ and that may be a record.
Distance=27.0/GPA=32.1/10=3.21

No comments: