Monday, December 3, 2012

Training 12/3-12/9

12/3- Lakeshore 6.5 in 48:10 (7:25 pace).  Solid performance.  Still a little sore and put out a little more effort than I planned.  A bit of a slow start but I ran a comfortable even pace over the last 5 miles.  I am overdue for a rest day and will probably take it Wednesday or Thursday.  Temp was over 60 degrees at 6 PM.  Passed 1,900 on the year.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

12/4- I had planned to do Johnny's workout but it was raining a little so I bagged it and took an elective rest day.  I've re-learned the lesson that 7 days per week won't work for me even if one of them is just a 2 mile junk run.  I feel "okay" today but just okay is not what I had hoped for coming off the pills. Massive improvement would really boost my confidence. I am still over-analyzing every little ache and pain.  No medical report today and this is the first day that I am going to the mailbox with any expectation of receiving it.  The doctors usually calls to let me know that it arrived before he mails it to me.  For the remainder of the year, I want at least one more shot at 5K and I don't care if the PR comes in a time trial or race setting.  I also want an 18 mile LR within a month of Los Angeles. If I feel up to it, I might try the 5K tomorrow.

12/5- DEFEAT!  I had hoped to run a 5K time trial today and arrived at the track after a pretty good day at work.  I felt decent warming up as well but within about a minute of starting, it didn't feel right.  The plan was to run straight 92 second quarters, get to 2 miles in 12:16, hang on and burn it home.  I figured that I could afford to go maybe 6 seconds in the red before the last 400 but it never came to that.  I hit 200 in a fairly comfy 45.x  but the watch was nearly 1:33 by the end of the lap.  Not good.  I tried to pick it up but could barely hold the same pace for the next lap and came through 1K at 3:51, already slow.  When I hit the Mile at 6:14, I bagged it and turned it into a lame interval workout.  This one SUCKED something awful.  1200 was a 5:37, 800 was 3:56 and the 400 was 1:50.  The first mile in 6:14 sapped all my strength.  For about a half hour, I panicked.  Now, what do I do?  I know what I need to get healthy but my body is rejecting it.  Then it hit me.  I accidentally took too much Fructosin last night.  Could that be the reason?  I got worse after taking another when I got home.  Hopefully this is a one day blip but it's a big hit the GPA.
Grade:D-/2 credit/distance=3.0

12/6- Easy 5 in 38:53 (7:47 pace).  Mediocre performance.  I get a plus because of the negative split.  1st half: 19:33, 2nd half: 19:20.  Put out moderate effort and based on that, it should have been 7:00-7:10 but there was not much there.  No real improvement over yesterday.  I would have flat out sucked in a quality session.  It's not the Fructosin.  I must go back on the Thym-Adren and will report back with the results.  If nothing else, this ends the anxiety about the medical report.  I know that I will NOT be in balance.  The question is, how far out of balance?  Can I stay on low dose Thym-Adren?  Will that be enough to get to balance?  In any event, I should know how this will all play out by Spring.  The next medical report will be the key and will be sent out in 2-3 months.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.5

12/7- Took 1 Thym-Adren this morning and improved as a result.  Vestavia 5 and my time is down to 36:56 (7:23 pace) for a nearly 2 minute improvement over yesterday.  Good start, faded in the middle before a nice rebound at the end.  That pace is acceptable for an easy run at this distance but once again, I know that I would have struggled in an interval workout.  What went wrong?  I waited to long to cut the dosage when 2 pills became too much.  When I finally did adjust, I was too aggressive.  Despite the so-so effort today, I'm sticking with 1 pill tomorrow.  If I'm not better, I go to 1.5 but not 2. 
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

12/8- FELT WEIRD.  Trak Shak 9 loop in a solid 65:13 (7:15 pace).  That looks pretty decent on the surface but it's the moving time.  I stopped several times for just a mental break.  I took off at sub-7 pace and really tried to slow down but could not.  By halfway however, I was faltering.  Hit 5 miles under 35 but miles 6-8 were 7:33-7:43-7:53 then rebounded with a 7:08 close.  Added a mile cool to make it an even 10.  I woke up feeling awful and 1 pill was clearly not enough so I went with 1.5.  It still seems to be on the low side but I'm sticking with it until further notice.  I must not cheat so much with the sugar and caffeine.  I'm not bulletproof in that area even with the Fructosin.  That may be contributing to my instability.  I'll call this one "average" overall.  No medical report again but I fully expect to hear something next week.  
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=10.0

12/9- BAD!  Lakeshore 5 in 38:40 (7:44 pace).  1st half: 17:39, 2nd half: 21:01.  Felt weird but ran well early then hit the wall late in Mile 3 and walk/jogged Mile 5 in over 9 minutes.  I believe it was the cheating on my diet.  If so, I should be better tomorrow.  I'm sticking with 1.5 pills.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
3rd loss in the last 4 weeks and this one was a blowout.  Los Angeles is only 5 weeks away so I've got to get this set right real quick. YTD is now 1932 so 2K is looking like a lock barring injury.  The 3.0 will likely come down to the last week.  I'm still on the plus side but not by much.
Distance=36.0/ GPA= 17.5/8= 2.19

No comments: