Monday, July 8, 2013

Training 7/8-7/14

7/8-  Another collapse this morning.  I would not have been able to run at all if I did not discover the reason.  I've learned today that magnesium "neutralizes" adrenaline.  That explains the fatigue and sore muscles.  So, now what?  If I quit the magnesium, I will be back on mega Thym-Adren within weeks as sure as I'm alive.  I will stop it for at least a few days.  I have 2 options: Use the magnesium on an as needed basis alone OR Continue using it every day and go back on the tyrosine.  I did take some tyrosine today, which allowed me to do a workout.  I'd prefer the former option in which I take just enough magnesium to stave off the deficiency symptoms while allowing the adrenaline to rise.  The latter option could lead to a "2 front war" in which both problems remain unsolved.

I will switch to the oil based product because it is a bit easier to regulate.  Even if the minerals within the cells are in balance, I will still feel terrible if my adrenaline is low.  I still don't know what the medical report will show.  My Na and K could be through the roof again.  I'm taking a week off soon.
The workout was 4 miles in 29:48 (7:27 pace) with horrible splits.  1st half: 14:13, 2nd half: 15:35.

Run #2- Experimented with Endodren (stimulant) and felt WORSE.  I'm somewhat relieved by this development.  Neither the Thym-Adren nor the Endodren works (opposite products) but the tyrosine does.  1 mile on Wisteria naked.  I'd estimate the time to be around 10 minutes.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

7/9- Tyrosine failed today.  Worst training session on record.  2 miles on Wisteria in 21:50 (10:55 pace).  No, I could not have gone much faster if I pushed it all out.  Did not use the magnesium gel this morning.  Tomorrow, I will not use anything and hope for an incremental improvement.  This time, I am serious.  Recover my form by the end of the week or else!  I will definitely be taking time off.  It could be a week or it could be 2 months.  6 miles shy of 1,000 on the year and I do want to hit that target before I call it quits.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=2.0

7/10- AM- Wisteria 2 miler again after 12 hours.  My time is down to 20:29 (10:15 pace) for an improvement of 40 seconds per mile.  Not nearly good enough to regain any confidence.  I will try it again this evening and am now 4 miles away from 1,000 on the year.  Most likely, it will be tomorrow that I hit the target.

PM- Skipped the Trak Shak run and it was a good call because it stormed just after 5:30.  I managed to hit 1,000 miles on the year today.  Finished 4 miles in 34:48 (8:42 pace).  That's an improvement of 1:33/mile and I attribute it to using loads of magnesium oil this afternoon.  It's possible that my adrenaline levels are NOT the problem after all.  I am renewing my commitment to stay off caffeine.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=6.0

7/11- AM- 2 miles at Gold's and my time is down to 14:55 (7:28 pace) and managed a negative split with a 7:23 for Mile 2.  My best run since being forced off all my oral supplements so far is 3@7:22.  At the very least, I expect to beat that my the end of the week.  Not sure what I'll do this evening.

PM- 5K time trial in 21:56 (7:05 pace).  Nice even splits.  (7:02-7:08-7:04-42) I have reached one point of confidence by doing better than the 3@7:22.  Next goal is to beat my TMG PR for 5 miles, which is 34:14 or 6:51 pace, when I was still on the Thym-Adren. Long cool.  Again, despite the recent improvements, I will still take my week off.  PLEASE, no collapse this weekend.
Grade:C/2 credits/distance=6.0

7/12- Lakeshore 5 in 38:20 (7:40 pace).  I'm fine with this one.  It was intended to be an easy workout.  Felt comfortable the entire way and managed a slight negative split (19:15-19:05).  Only concern was a bit of diarrhea before the start, which may be magnesium related.  Overall, my energy levels during the day are nowhere near their peak but I'm glad to be feeling better on my runs. I've noticed that my appetite has decreased a bit but my weight remains in the upper 150s.  I may have a shot at the 34:14 by Sunday in an all out effort.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

7/13- 2 mile junk run on Wisteria.  Ran naked and felt comparable to yesterday overall.  Tomorrow is big.  This 5 mile time trial will be nearly as important as a race.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=2.0

7/14- A very important 5 mile time trial to test where I am. 
"A" goal was 34:14- best time since starting TMG while I was still on Thym-Adren
"B" goal was sub-35 (7:00 pace)
"C" goal was 35:26- best time since being forced off Thym-Adren but was still on Fructosin
Finished with a time of 35:07 (7:01 pace).  Splits were 6:47-7:03-7:12-7:15-6:50.
Meh.  An improvement over Thursday time trial but I really expected better than this.  It is time for a break.  I hope that it will only be a week off.
Grade:C+/2 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
Break time!  I have not collapsed in 5 days.
Distance= 31.0/ GPA= 14.6/8= 1.83

No comments: