Monday, September 30, 2013

Training 9/30-10/6

9/30- Planned rest day for the trip back to Birmingham.  I have time for a junk run but it would not go well so what's the point?  Mercifully, this ends the 3rd quarter.

10/1- 5 mile time trial on all Thym-Adren.  I aimed to beat my split of 35:00 from the Great Race and managed to do it in 34:54 (6:59 pace).  Nasty fade (17:04-17:50) but I clearly felt different today.  The malaise of the past few weeks has diminished and has been replaced by over-stimulation, which is how I should feel given my chemistry.  This was a cool 91 seconds better than my last time trial only 7 days earlier on the same course but I don't consider myself "back" until I am sub-33.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.0

10/2- Stuck with all Thym-Adren.  Trak Shak 7.5 loop in 57:24 (7:39 pace).  Pace was variable depending on the terrain but it was a pretty even effort.  Mile 7 was slow but I could have maintained the pace with more effort.  Solid performance overall and remained fairly comfortable.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=7.5

10/3- VERY POOR.  Felt terrible all day at work and no better on the run.  2.5 miles in 19:23 (7:45 pace).  Started off decent but was over 8:00 pace after the first mile.  I expected the all Thym-Adren strategy would eventually fail me but I never expected it to happen so soon.  I took 200 mg of Mag and it didn't hurt me but it was not very effective either. I popped 250 mg. of Cal, which seemed to help. Going back to the previous post, in option #3, it could be extra Cal that may cause my POS body to demand the Mag that it needs.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=2.5

10/4- Update:  This one is big.  Apparently it is the Jigsaw Mag that I cannot tolerate with the Thym-Adren. The problem is likely the folic acid suppressing adrenaline too much.  I took plain Mag malate today and felt better.  I still need to tweak the formula but this is an encouraging development.
Another 5 mile time trial and my time is down to 34:26 (6:53 pace).  That's another cool 28 ticks better than I was only 3 days ago.  Splits were more even as well (17:00/17:26).  Only Mile 4 was over 7 minutes.  I took 8 Thym-Adren, and a Cal/Mag total of roughly 800:400.  I will continue tweaking and hope to continue improving.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.0

10/5- Long run.  Did not expect much after yesterday's effort.  It turned out to be a split decision.  I was strugg-a-ling from the get go but began feeling better in the midsection and turned in some 7:40 splits then my groin and hamstring gave out on me in Mile 10.  Finished 11 miles in a time of 87:49 (7:59 pace) and had to work for the sub-8 overall.  I got a decidedly negative reaction to extra Cal/Mag yesterday evening and it probably hasn't fully cleared.  I'm reducing the dosage today.
Grad:B-/2 credits/distance=11.0

10/6- AM Did not take enough Thym-Adren so I bailed after a 7:46 opening mile and a rapidly slowing pace.

PM- 3rd 5 mile time trial of the week and my time is down to 33:49 (6:46 pace).  Another cool 35 second improvement despite being slightly less than fresh.  Formula was 8 Thym Adren, 1 extra Cal and 225 mg. of Mag.  I feel like I can tolerate 300 mg. of Mag but 450 will give me the runs.  I am only 10 ticks per mile shy of what I consider to be competitive shape.  I think I can do it next week if I can hold it together on this formula.  Splits were nearly perfect (16:56-16:53) with Mile 5 being my fastest at 6:33.  Every mile was below 7.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
I almost won this time but it goes on record as my 5th loss in a row.  There MAY be real hope of winning streak around the corner.  It does boost my overall GPA on the year.  3 time trials seems like overkill to most but in my condition, I rarely feel overtrained but I just can't access the top gears and as a result, I can recover like it was an easy run.
Distance=37.0/ GPA= 29.1/10= 2.91
YTD: 1,385 miles.  14-24- 2.56

No comments: