Monday, June 18, 2018

Training 6/18-6/24- NO EXCUSES

6/18- AM-3 miles in 23:45 (7:55 pace).  This was done on Day 1 so my time is much faster than usual at this stage.  It's usually closer to 9 minute pace.  I credit the Tyrosine + C.  Most likely, there is a good reason why I was sensitive to larger doses of Sarcosine.  It suppressed adrenaline production.  Tyrosine + C solves that.  MAYBE, I won't have to sacrifice speed for stability.

Later on I found that not only am I intolerant to caffeine, I can't drink anything sugared (not even a bottle of Powerade) so that will likely set me back a bit.  A couple sips on a long run?  Probably okay.  I will try 4 scoops of Sarcosine again tonight in hopes that the Tyrosine+C will allow for more tolerance.  I just want to be comparable to today.  In the long run, I will go with the lowest effective dose.  Unless I get additional benefit from 4, I'll stick with 2 scoops because it appears to be effective in combating the sensitivity.  All pills are tolerated now so there will be no excuses going forward.  WATER ONLY TO DRINK!
Distance=3.0

6/19- AM- 1 mile test run on Wisteria.  Finished in 8:04.  I'll consider this mostly good news.  Yes, the 4 scoops left me weakened but the tyrosine mitigated MOST of the ill-effects.  On level ground at Gold's, I bet I'm in the 24s for 3 miles and this is Day 1 again.  2 scoops it is!  I've got a couple other things I would like to try:  Ascorbic acid vs Whole Food C.  Okay, I know the latter option is better for me but if the AA helps with adrenaline production, I might go with it temporarily.  I will give Liver Beef another shot after my Upper Midwest trip.  Blood donation will also be done at a later date.  I might be out again this evening for another short run.
Distance=1.5

6/20- Day 2.  AM- 3 miles at Gold's in 25:46 (8:35 pace).  Not good at all.  True, Day 2 is often worse than Day 1 but what is troubling is that I am NOT getting better as the day progresses.  In fact, I actually feel more out of whack this afternoon.  It seems as if the tyrosine helps when I am on caffeine but HURTS when I am off and complete the worst of the detox.  BIZARRE!  I'm going back off that stuff but will stick with 2 scoops of Sarcosine.  Perhaps it doesn't affect adrenaline after all?

It crossed my mind that the fructose malabsorption has flared up again.  That's possible but it seems unlikely because caffeinated drinks without high fructose corn syrup have also caused a bad reaction.  I may try a product for it but expect it to be a non-factor.  There may be a couple tweaks that I will try but basically, I plan to stick to this formula for better or worse.
Distance=3.5
UPDATE:
It has been confirmed that Tyrosine is BAD.  I'll pitch that stuff but will likely struggle for the next few days as it clears my system.  Ironically, caffeine would probably make me feel better now but I have made it through Day 2.

6/21-AM- Day 3.  Morning was awful as I struggled through a 1 mile junk run on Wisteria.  Tyrosine has yet to fully clear.  All I can do is wait.

PM- Today, I did feel better as the day progressed.  3 miles in 23:25 (7:48 pace).  MINUS 47.  I believe this is the best I've done since I decided to go with the 2 scoops for better or worse.  There is still room for much improvement but eventually, I will level off.  Made it through Day 3 and it should get easier from here on out.
Distance=4.0

6/22- Day 4 and I took a step backwards.  I knew it as soon as I woke up in the morning but tried to run through it.  Quit after 2 miles in 16:56 (8:28 pace) with splits of 7:57-8:59.  This would have been a 26:xx if I had kept going for another mile.  I could tell that it was NOT Sarcosine related.  Instead, it turns out that I really do need the TMG (Tri-Methyl Glycine) after all.  Since Sarcosine is mono-methyl glycine, I thought it could do the job but I was wrong.
Distance=2.0

6/23- Day 5.  Skipped the BTC run but it got rained out anyway.  It has become apparent that even though I am still off caffeine and sugar, TMG is STILL not tolerated together with Sarcosine.  ARRGH!  I'll have to work around it.  Fortunately, there are substitute products out there that target the same defective enzyme pathway.  I tried several this morning:  DMG is a NO.  Betaine HCl is a NO.  Yasko's Folinic Plus (formerly Methyl Mate) is an option but has a few questionable ingredients that could raise toxic Iron levels.

SAM-e appears to be promising.  Did the same 2 mile distance this time in humid conditions at Vestavia.  Finished in 15:41 (7:50 pace).  MINUS 38 with even splits.
If Sam-e or Folinic Plus fails, the last option is to take the TMG and try to target the BHMT enzyme with a nucleotide product.  Still a chance to get a resolution next week.  I could go back to what I was doing before, which was 1 scoop with the TMG.  If I go that route, I must be content with being a 1:45-1:50 half marathoner on a GOOD DAY and feel that I am vulnerable to getting worse.  Not a real attractive choice but it's still better than quitting.
Distance=2.0

6/24- Day 6.  3 miles in 22:51 (7:37 pace).  MINUS 13 over an extra mile.  I should be pleased with this one but I am really not.  Something is clearly still off.  I definitely need BOTH the SAM-e and the Methylfolate  BUT it appears that it will require a specific ratio once again.  I failed the toe touch test after the run then passed it immediately after taking an extra MF.  I am virtually certain that Yasko's product would produce the same result because SAM-e is the key ingredient there as well and it contains other bad ingredients.  I'm not even going to try it.  Extra Sarcosine would likely be a non-factor but I'm willing to try it. 

The alternatives are to accept the "exact ratio" of SAM-e/MF or take the TMG with the nucleotide product BHMT. 
Distance=3.0

No comments: