Tuesday, September 4, 2018

High Oxalates Revisited


Oxalates
I looked into this 2 years ago because I read it could be a reason for sensitivity to supplements.  I’ve read that in cases of high oxalates, there are toxins in your organs that are chemically similar to anti-freeze (YUCK)!  Effective treatments are Cal/Mag citrate (Paramin) and IP-6.  The former is something that is known to be effective because it worked temporarily in the past.  The latter is untested in this regard but may raise ceruloplasmin and improve Iron mobilization while the former is known to worsen both areas.  If I am to go with the Paramin, I may just raise my Liver Beef dosage to mitigate the damage.  Whole Food C must be cut out because it increases oxalates.  I took Paramin until 2013 and was a much better and consistent performer when I was on it.  I stopped because it wasn’t raising Magnesium.  I tried going back on it a couple times but could not tolerate it.  That issue should be resolved now.

I did have brief success with Cal Citrate 2 years ago but eventually developed a complete intolerance because of the glycine conjugation issues.  Then, a urine test revealed that oxalates were not high after all.  The markers were only slightly higher than the 50th percentile and not nearly high enough to be flagged. 

Why am I so sure now that oxalates are the culprit?
1)     Taking glycine will raise oxalates.
The Sarcosine (N-methyl glycine) is the one treatment that I absolutely cannot do without.  If I don’t take it, I will become intolerant to almost all my other necessary supplements and I will be screwed.  It is quite possible that I always did have high oxalates, which were masked by the glycine conjugation issues and may have worsened the sensitivity issues.

2)     Sudden sensitivity to adrenal supplements.
Very recently, neither the adrenal stimulant nor the suppressant had much of an effect at least at one dose.  I still think I could be balanced now in that area.  However, last week, I had a terrible reaction to just a half pill of both.  For the last time, even if a single pill takes my chemistry in the wrong direction, there is NO WAY that it should trigger a severe reaction.  After taking the Calcium citrate, the sensitivity was gone again.  I had a similar reaction to Whole Food C but Liver was tolerated whereas it was not prior to the Sarcosine. 

3)     Calcium Citrate is effective.
I had an episode last week in which I was struggling for a 9 minute pace for just a half mile then after popping a single Cal Citrate pill, I felt better.  I managed a sub-8 for 2 miles just a few minutes later.  I’ve also had nasty diarrhea along with itching and foul smelling urine that leaves me feeling better afterwards.  Lastly, if I overshoot by taking too much Cal Citrate, I will end up worse off due to detox.  All are symptoms of oxalate dumping.

I think Paramin is my best chance of improvement.  I have no choice but to keep fighting because the alternative is being disabled.

No comments: