Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Training 4/27-5/3

4/27- Awful in the morning but was surprisingly better in the afternoon.  Very consistent splits too.
On 2 CoQ10- 2:48
3 pills- 2:49
Extra caffeine- 2:50
Not a significant difference.  Slow times but it's becoming clear that mega doses are no longer needed.
Distance=2.0

4/28-AM- Opener in 2:37 (7:51 pace).  1 pill- 2:32 (7:36 pace).  2 pills-2:33 (7:39 pace).
Barely enough to be considered significant on 1 pill then the 2nd pill was essentially a non-factor.  Good news.  I'm going down to 1 pill tomorrow.  I'm betting that forbidden drinks will be tolerated IF the CoQ10 dose is low.  What's the point in taking more if I don't benefit from it?  The drinks are not good for me but I should NEVER get extreme reactions to them.  If I do, something is wrong.  I want to confirm the tolerance on low doses this week then quit, hopefully without too much withdrawal.  After I do quit, I'll try higher doses again hoping that it continues to be a non-factor.  If so, I'm willing to stick with this formula for better or worse going forward.

PM- 3 miles on Lakeshore in 26:50 (8:57 pace).  Not real good but I was encouraged by the negative splits.  I think it was 9:08-8:59-8:43.
Distance=4.0

4/29- The difference between going with CoQ10 and without it is now officially immaterial.  There was only a 3 second difference in my laps this morning.  My afternoon workout was 4 miles on Lakeshore in a time of 33:45 (8:24 pace) with occasional light rain outside.  Not a great showing but I am steadily improving every day on low doses in spite of the forbidden drinks.  This time, I slowed just a tad on the back half but it never got any worse than 8:30.
Distance=5.0

4/30- End of the official stay at home order but the new freedoms are minimal.  At least I can go to the Fleet Feet and the Trak Shak.  Today was the 3 mile Trak Shak loop in 24:15 (8:05 pace).  This route contains some hills so on Lakeshore, I think I'm at or near Mendoza level.  Not a huge improvement over yesterday but the only real goal this week is to avoid a collapse.  So far, caffeine and alcohol are well tolerated.  Tomorrow will be the last day.
Distance=3.0

5/1- The collapse has been avoided.  Only 1 mile at Montreat in 7:16 with pretty even splits.  Effort was moderate-tempo.  I could probably get under 7 on a track going all out.  Followed it up with a half mile in 3:31 despite being slightly inebriated.  Alcohol and caffeine are tolerated IF the CoQ10 dose is low.  Now, if I raised the dose, I bet I still have problems.
Distance=1.5

5/2-AM. The plot thickens.  3 miles on Lakeshore in 27:45 (9:15 pace).  Not good.  Planned on 6.5 and felt reasonably well through the first 2 miles in 17:35 but collapsed to 10:10 in Mile 3 and called it quits.  It appears that the CoQ10 was the culprit after all.  If I simply ran a 1 lap sprint around Montreat, I'm probably okay.  If I waited until the evening to run after it partially cleared my system, I'm also probably okay.  Running shortly after taking the dose.  Definitely NOT okay.

PM- Improved to a 2:30 lap on Montreat but was immediate WORSE after additional CoQ10.
Distance=3.5

5/3- Tried to run without CoQ10 and was awful then it was worse with it.  The verdict is in.  Caffeine and alcohol will be tolerated occasionally but if it's a daily habit, CoQ10 becomes both necessary and unable to be tolerated.  Not even at low doses.
Distance=1.0

-20 miles on the week

No comments: