Monday, June 10, 2013

Training 6/10-6/16

6/10- AM- 2 mile junk run in 15:22 (7:41 pace).  Just wanted to make sure that I am improving over yesterday and yes, I am.

PM- 6 miles indoors.  Struggled with every step but got through it with an even pace all the way.  Time was 46:26 (7:44 pace).  1st half: 23:15, 2nd half: 23:11.  Did not feel much better than I did this morning.  This may be my last workout at NEXT fitness because it closes on Wednesday.  I will probably end up joining Gold's in Vestavia.  It's a little out of the way for me but closer than the Trak Shak or Lakeshore.  It's fairly cheap and supposedly has a pretty nice track.  As for my performance, it was less than stellar but FAR better than yesterday.  Let's see continued improvement tomorrow. 1st full day back off the Paramin.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=8.0

6/11- Speed day.  12x200 at Vestavia with a 1 min. passive R except for a 400 jog after #6.  Very consistent splits.  I did the first 6 all in the low 36s.  7-11 were in the high 36s.  #12 was all out in 32.1.  I feel like I am continuing to improve but if I had my "A+" form, it would have been 34-35 with a 29 close.  Solid overall.  Long cool in which I was barely moving.  First 90+ degree day of the year and there will be many more ahead.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.0

6/12- AM.  Lame 5 miler on Lakeshore and got dropped by the fast Gnomes early.  Finished in 39:45 (7:57 pace) in humid conditions and thought about quitting early.  Faded badly too.  1st half: 19:21, 2nd half: 20:24.  I sure hope that the speed session just took too much out of me.

PM- Trak Shak 5 in 38-flat (7:36 pace).  Decent workout for my 2nd one of the day.  Temp was over 90 but it was not terribly humid.  Held the pace pretty well.  1st half was 18:50, 2nd half: 19:10.
Medical update: I had a bad reaction to a Peace tea drink that contains sucralose (fake sugar).  Apparently, I cannot handle that stuff but I can handle real sugar as long as I take the fructosin.  WEIRD!  That's probably what was hurting me today.  Overall, a decent double in spite of it.  
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=10.5

6/13- Planned rest day.  I hope that I can get all the bad stuff out of my system today.  It will be a bit cooler tomorrow and I hope to run either a time trial or a downward ladder.

6/14- FAILURE!  The bad stuff apparently did not clear.  Attempted a Mile and passed 800 in 2:51 and fading fast.  I would have been hard pressed just to break 6:00 so I just quit.  It would be my best running of the day.  Did a 600 in 2:25 and a 400 in 1:39 running all out.  Long cool.  I cheated on the caffeine on Wednesday (3rd time in 5 days) then took some Vitamin E afterwards.  I felt slightly better after 1 pill then got much worse after 2.  I feel like giving up now and if things don't turn around by Peachtree, I'm taking a long break.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=2.5

6/15-Slept in because I knew that I was not up for a long run.  Instead I waited until noon and checked out Gold's Gym.  The track there appears to be acceptable.  It's not banked and has tight turns but long straightaways and it's only 9 laps/mile.  Ran 27 laps after a light lifting session in a time of 21:57 (7:19 pace).  If the distance is accurate, it's a pretty decent workout after yesterday's debacle.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.5

6/16- AM.  AWFUL!  1.5 mile stop and go at Vestavia with a pace over 9:00.  I had 2 beers yesterday and I'm betting that was the culprit. 

PM- Took magnesium before the workout and it was better.  5 miles at Gold's in 39:50 (7:58 pace).  Effort was fairly easy most of the way but Miles 3-4 were over 8 and had to rally at the end for the sub-8 pace.  1st half: 19:40, 2nd half: 20:10.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
This latest debacle drops me to 2-10 over the last 12 weeks and those 2 wins were generous.  I have a magnesium deficiency as well as a magnesium intolerance.  My only option is to drink water only because caffeine, sugar and alcohol all deplete magnesium.  I could handle some alcohol at Orange Beach because I had been taking Paramin.  Now that I am off it, I must not cheat.  Will I ever win again?  I'm taking several weeks off if I lose another 2 in a row.
Distance=34.0/ GPA= 19.6/8= 2.45
YTD: 882 miles.  9-14 with a 2.65 GPA.  BAAAAD!

No comments: