Monday, June 3, 2013

Training 6/3-6/9

6/3- Drove to Biloxi, MS and was unimpressed with the beaches there.  No waves and the water was not as clear either.  Lunch at a BBQ place in Mobile then got back to B'ham by 5:30.  I relaxed for 30 minutes then hit the gym for an easy 6 in 44:38 (7:26 pace).  This one was MUCH easier than my 44:50 last week.  1st half: 22:15, 2nd half: 22:23.  Felt smooth and relaxed. Weight is back up to 156 but I'm fine with that.  +3 over the weekend but consumed a lot of calories.  Tomorrow will be 7 days off caffeine.  Good start to the week.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

6/4- Solid interval session.  10x400 with a 2 min rest.  1st 9 were 81-82 then closed with a 72.8 for a final average of 80.5 (5:22 pace).  Showing signs of improvement.  My Mile time would probably be near 5:30 now and I may take a shot later in the week.  Weather is nice here in the morning and evening but oppressive in the afternoon.  I missed an "A-" by only a 1/2 second per lap but I'm in good shape for a convincing win.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=4.0

6/5- Trak Shak run was rained out so it was another standard issue 6 indoors.  Time was 45:19 (7:33 pace).  That's a decent time but I was not feeling sharp at all. Struggled in Miles 3-6 but kept the pace in the mid-7:30s.  1st half: 22:32, 2nd half: 22:47. Feels like I need to go back to Paramin after 5 days off it.  I am now taking exactly the same stuff as I took during my 7 week winning streak.  If I need magnesium again, I will take it only on an as needed basis or 1-2x per week.  Weight is back up to 160, which is a sign that my metabolism is off.  
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

6/6- Planned rest day.  Going bowling with Chilton.  Felt better on Paramin but will likely stick to 2 of those pills per day.  If I can get up in the morning, I'm doing my Mile time trial tomorrow.

6/7- AM-Spain Park Mile in 5:43.4 (best time of the year).  Hollow victory in cutting off 4 ticks from my previous best.  I know I'm in better shape than this.  Clearly, it's the Cal/Mag.  It's a Catch-22 situation.  I am low on magnesium but cannot tolerate it until I get the Na and K back down.  I'm going down to 1 Paramin.

PM- Easy 5K indoors in 24:55 (7:59 pace).  Felt terrible.  I tried some extra calcium in the morning and it was not the answer.  The only way is to cut the Paramin.  I will lose again if my weekend if bad.
Grade:C+/2 credit/distance=5.0

6/8-AM- One of the most demoralizing runs of my life.  Passed 3 miles in 22:45 (7:35 pace) then hit the wall and crashed.  It took nearly 19 minutes to cover the next 2 miles then I quit and just walked the remainder of the course.  Overall moving time was 41:34 (8:19 pace).  I am down to 1 Paramin but the excess calcium from yesterday has yet to fully clear.  I may try again in the afternoon.  This almost guarantees loss #13 on the year and a failure in one of my training goals for 2013.  I had hoped for a record of 38-12 after my 34-16 last year.  Man, this year has sucked so far!

PM- 3 miles on Wisteria at a moderate effort.  Finished in 22:34 (7:31 pace) and I know I had 2 more decent miles in me if need be.  I did slip up with a forbidden drink at lunch but a one time slip won't hurt me as long as it remains a one time slip.  I'm not interested in seeing how close I can get to "the line" without crossing it.  At any rate, it was an improvement over the morning and enough to avoid an "F" on the day.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=8.0

6/9-FAILURE!  Felt horribly overstimulated immediately after waking up.  Attempted a tempo and it sucked.  Held the pace near 7:00 for the first half mile then died.  Passed 1 Mile in 7:30 then just cooled down for a half mile before adding some junk strides later in the day.  I've got an answer for this.  It's good news and bad news.  The good is that I can quit the Paramin after all.  The bad is that my dependence on Fructosin has increased.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=2.0

Weekly summary:
Loss #13 on the year and guarantees a failure on one of my key training goals for 2013.  Again, it is a loss that I can accept because I got an answer to a key question.  If I take 2 Fructosin each and every day, I should not need any Paramin until further notice.  In fact, it is toxic to me.  Without Fructosin, I do need it and at precise dosages. I may need to increase the Fructosin dosage.  If I have to, I have to but would really prefer not to because it costs so much.  There is a chance that I will eventually need magnesium again when my Na and K come down but I will not worry about that now.  Since I took thyroid caps in between sending the sample and getting the results, I know I'm still very high (probably in the 70s-80s in Na and 25-30 in K).  If only I had quit the Paramin in February, I may have avoided the nightmarish Spring but when I saw the 30/2, I panicked.  Lesson learned.  The slump could be over soon.
Distance=31.0/ GPA=19.2/8= 2.40
YTD: 848 miles.  Record: 9-13.  GPA= 2.66 

No comments: