Monday, November 19, 2018

Training 11/19-11/25

11/19- Goal was to finish under the Mendoza line and I just barely made it.  Gold's 3 in 23:54 (7:58 pace).  Splits were 7:51-8:06-7:57.  I was 4 seconds in the red with a quarter mile to go but rallied at the end.  Compared with Friday, this was MINUS 25.  The rate of improvement will be slower but for what I sure hope is the last time, STEADY TRAINING FREE FROM RELAPSES will result in sustained improvement over time.
Distance=3.0

11/20- Repeated the Gold's 3 and my time is down to 22:56 (7:39 pace).  MINUS 19.  Splits were 7:32-7:44-7:40.  The goal was a sub-23 and once again, I barely made it.  I went a few seconds in the red with a half mile to go but once again rallied in the last quarter mile with a 1:47.  Very pleased with the improvement over yesterday.  I've made it 4 days without a relapse and the improvements should continue.  I expect to cheat on the diet over the holiday.
Distance=3.0

11/21- 5th day without a relapse though I will not even begin to believe again until I make it to 30.  Took the day off work and ran 5 miles on Lakeshore in the daylight.  Comfortable effort most of the way but I did turn it up a notch at the end to finish under 8 minute pace.  No complaints about this one.  Time was 39:56 (7:59 pace).  I expect to do very little over the next few days.
Distance=5.0

11/22- Planned rest day.  Cheated BADLY on Thanksgiving Day.

11/23- 3 mile trail run in 23-flat (7:40 pace).  Even pace but not much left at the end.  Marginally slower than last time at this distance but this route has a few small inclines so it's a wash.  PLUS 1 is negligible anyway and considering what I consumed yesterday as well as the day before, I'll take it.  I may be facing a bit of an adrenal spike but that's not unexpected after solving a MAJOR problem.
Distance=3.0

11/24- Planned rest day.  Trip home.  There are 2 more questions to be answered:
 1) Is the male specific DIM the only type that will be tolerated or was the reaction to the old stuff simply detox that would have faded in time?  I'll try going back to the old stuff and if I get a reaction, no big deal.  I'll just endure a rough day or two.

2) Will I see improvement if I temporarily go back to the adrenal suppressants or up the modulator?  I don't expect any negatives there.  If I doesn't work, it's just a harmless extra pill now that the sensitivity is gone at least for now.

11/25- Test intervals.  4x400 at Vestavia.  I tried a double dose of the old DIM formula before the workout and did not notice any problems.  No pain in the ass or anywhere else out of the ordinary. 

The answer to question #1 is NO.  The problems with the old DIM were detox and I would have been advised to simply go slower with it.  I probably would not have had the problems if I had done so even with caffeine.  Switching to the male specific DIM was probably unnecessary but I still plan to stick with it.

The answer to question #2 is YES.  Before the DIM, the effects of the adrenal modulator were negligible at least with only 1 day off it.  I bet problems would show up if I stayed off permanently however.  Now, I am noticeably over-stimulated without it for just one day and feel significantly better after taking just one of those suckers.  Here are the workout stats:
0 ADHS- 2:05.1 (8:20 pace)
1 ADHS- 1:52.5 (7:30 pace) MINUS 50
2 ADHS- 1:38.0 (6:32 pace) MINUS 58- my regular dose
1 Thym-Adren (suppressant)- 1:19.8 (5:19 pace) MINUS 73
Distance=1.0
Reaction:
My doctor says it's common to see an adrenal spike shortly after solving a MAJOR problem.  How long will it last?  Probably a month or two.  If I stick with 2 ADHS only, I will likely plateau around 23-flat for 3 miles and 40 minutes for 5 miles during the adrenal spike.  In fact, I may actually get worse for a brief time.  BUT upping my ADHS or temporarily switching to the suppressant will certainly result in further improvements.

-only 15 miles this week.  I will try again to get serious starting tomorrow.

No comments: