Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Training 12/26-12/31

12/26- It's closing time.  I don't have much motivation to train this week.  Just want to start fresh in 2019.  I do have 2 treatments that I am willing to try but am betting that both will be non-factors.  I tried an increase in DIM and the result was inconclusive.  I'd lean towards staying with just 1 pill.  Did 3x1 mile intervals on Lakeshore on a pleasant evening.
1 pill- 7:42
2 pills- 7:31
3 pills- 7:35
The reason I say it's inconclusive is that I did see a modest improvement after the 2nd pill.  11 seconds is bordering on a significant difference (roughly 2.5 percent) but it wasn't night and day.  I really didn't feel much better and was somewhat surprised by the result.  Perhaps, I unconsciously upped the effort a bit.  I was marginally worse on a 3rd pill but 4 seconds is NOT enough to be significant.  Probably just statistical noise.  Not very long ago, a dose that high would have triggered a SEVERE detox reaction.  I'm pleased that I was able to tolerate it even though it really didn't do anything.

The other treatment is a kidney supp called Renamide.  It didn't do anything before but with DIM, it could be effective.  Again, it's unlikely that it will trigger a reaction.  Worst case is that it's a non-factor.

Not surprisingly, I was horrible with the cheating on my diet over the holiday.  I was somewhat encouraged that I was able to run fairly well today.  Back on track starting tomorrow.
Distance=3.0

12/27- 3 miles at Gold's this time non-stop.  It was a struggle as my legs turned to lead by Mile 2.  Finished below the Mendoza line at 23:54 (7:58 pace) but it took every ounce of energy to do so.  Not looking good at all.  I fear that this is the new normal and I'll just have to get used to it.  Will order Renamide.  Could I benefit from a little Calcium?  It never ends.
Distance=3.0

12/28 Unplanned rest day.  Renamide is out of stock until mid-January but I may not even order it.  I said 2 days earlier that a 2nd DIM pill was inconclusive.  Well, it's conclusive now.  I was considerably BETTER after taking a 2nd pill this evening after feeling awful for most of the day.  Also, I felt a difference after taking a 2nd DMG pill.  Interesting.  I'm switching back to Sam-e as soon as the supply runs out  and this time thanks to DIM, I will be able to tolerate higher doses.

12/29- Still low on motivation.  Just waiting for the new year to begin.  Skipped the group run in favor of an interval test to confirm what I strongly suspected last night.  2x800 at Vestavia.  Opened with 2 DIM but only 1 DMG.
Opened with a 3:50 (7:40 pace).  Legs were already starting to go after just 2 laps and I predict that in a 3 miler, the result would be just about the same as 2 days ago.  Right around the Mendoza line give or take a few seconds and it would take all I had to do it.

 Popped the DMG and got the expected improvement.  Without any increase in effort, my time was down to 3:30 (7:00 pace).  MINUS 40.  Most definitely, this was a significant improvement.  What happens if I take another one of those pills?  Probably nothing thanks to the DIM.
Distance=1.0

12/30- WEAK again.  Came through 1.5 miles in 11:32 and fading.  Once again, I was looking at a Mendoza level time give or take a few seconds.  This time, I punted and treated the back half like a cool down.  Really worried that this is the new normal.
Distance=3.0

12/31- 2 miles in 17:30.  Getting worse every day.  Fortunately, I found the culprit.  It was the LACK of DMG.  SAM-e can be used to augment it but CANNOT be used as a substitute.  Was able to get the last bottle at the health food store on my way home and YES INDEED, I was better after taking it.
Distance=2.0

No comments: