Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Southern Arizona Road Trip Report

 2/18-

Worked almost a full day but did leave an hour early so I could eat dinner before my 7 PM flight.  That went off as scheduled and after a quick connection in Dallas, I was on the ground in Tucson just before midnight local time.  I checked into my fleabag motel just before 1 AM and hit the sack.

2/19-







Surprisingly, I was up with the sun this morning and captured some palm tree and catcus pictures before I showered up and hit the road.  My early start enabled me to hit Picachu State Park about 40 minutes north on the way to Phoenix.  I did a fairly challenging hike of about 1 mile on Calloway Trail then headed back south on the Interstate.  I didn't want to spend too much or too little time because I planned to arrive in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico shortly after noon.  I followed the plan to perfection.




This was my third visit to a Mexican border town and my fourth visit to Mexico overall.  Each one has a different vibe but as soon as you step foot on Mexican soil, you know that you are in a different place.  It's been described as a portal to another world.  Juarez and Nogales are more authentic than touristy places like Tijuana or Cancun.  In border towns, most people can speak English but Spanish will be appreciated even if slow and heavily accented.  I call myself the gringo with the southern lingo and that never fails to get a chuckle in response.  I find that I can recognize most of the words in Spanish but my comprehension is limited because the speech is too fast.  The key is to learn to think in Spanish and stop translating in your head.  Not so easy.  Some people worry about me going to Mexico.  However, I never felt unsafe despite the fact that Nogales does have a high crime rate.  In general, if you stick to tourist areas and don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine.  



Many Americans cross the border for cheap meds, dental work and food but I'm there to take in the culture and interact with the people.  I had a pretty good lunch at a bargain price, roamed the main streets and browsed some of the shops.  I got some delicious ice cream and purchased a T-shirt and shot glass from one of the shops.  I probably got ripped off on the price but the shop owner also walked me to a nearby hotel and helped me with the check-in so I didn't mind.  I may have been able to bargain to save a few bucks but chose not to do so.  I attended church then went out to dinner on the store owner's recommendation.  My hotel was about on par with low end American chains such as Motel 6 or Super 8 but at half price.  I only paid the equivalent of $35 US dollars.  It was a good call to stay in Mexico for the night.  It saved money and allowed me to drink a big margarita for dinner without facing the border guard shortly thereafter.  Again, I had a nice server and enjoyed brief conversations in Spanish. 

2/20-

I simply walked into Mexico without any questioning at all.  Normally, when going back to the USA, I'm usually only asked where I am going next then sent on my way after my passport is checked.  This time, I faced more questioning.  I was asked what I did in Mexico and why I would want to fly to Tucson for the weekend without knowing anyone in the area.  He wasn't mean and did not search me but he did find it strange that I would do something like this.  The scenery is beautiful and I wanted to do some hiking.  Simple.    





My first stop of the day was Mount Lemmon at 9,000 feet elevation and at least 30 degrees colder than  Tucson.  The road reminded me a bit of a desert version of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Vegetation and landscape changes as dramatically as the temperature.  The ubiquitous cacti stop just after the 4,000 foot mark and you would think that you are in Montana or South Dakota shortly thereafter.  I didn't know until recently but yes, you will see SNOW on the ground in the winter once you hit about 7,000-7,500 feet.  In southern Arizona?  Not many people know that. 






Back at lower elevation, I spent some time at a park called Agua Caliente, which is a beautiful area with a nice green lake surrounded by palm trees and mountain views.  Too bad those were not high enough to be snow capped.  My last stop was Catalina State Park.  Unfortunately, the hike was too long and I had to bail halfway through.  It proved to be a good call as I got some epic shots of a cactus in the sunset sky.  


2/21-

Today was planned to be devoted to Saguaro National Park.  Yes, it was very nice but nothing really stood out compared to the 2 other state parks.  The hiking trail was similar to the one Picachu albeit with a bit more scenic views at the top.  With a bit of time to kill, I went to downtown Tucson for lunch.  Though the food was nothing special, my server was very nice.  Though Tucson has a large population, it has more of a small town eclectic feel.  The University of Arizona is just a few blocks away.  I ended up taking a walk down several main streets then went back to the airport with plenty of time to spare.  The flight back also went off on time but I did not get back home until after 11 PM.  I was hurting the next day.









No comments: