Friday, February 11, 2022

When to Race Hawaii

 

I am now about 95 percent sure that I will NOT be racing in Hawaii in April.  I only have 9 more weeks to get in shape and I still have not run longer than 4 miles this year.  My standard issue run used to be 5-6 miles at 7:30 pace.  Now, it is 2 miles at paces that range from 8:00 all the way up to 11:00.  What will my fitness level be in 12 months?  Those prospects are not bright.  Fortunately, the time limit is 4 hours so even on my worst day, I should be able to walk/jog and come in under that.  That’s a pace per mile of almost 17 minutes.

  To their credit, Hawaii reversed the booster requirement to bypass the 5-day quarantine but what’s the point of any requirement in that case?  A 12-month-old vackseen is basically USELESS against Omicron!  I may have natural immunity too.  More on that later.  In order to participate in the race, I need either a vackseen OR a negative test WITH permission from an official.  The latter is not guaranteed.  If there are other options available, I would certainly prefer NOT to support an event with such stringent restrictions.  I did meet a woman named Robin at my Maine race, who is finishing her 50th state at the race in Maui that I initially planned to run.  It sure would be nice to finish together but all things considered, it’s not looking like it will happen. 

There are 2 races in Honolulu over Holiday weekends.  One is Memorial Day, and the other is Veteran’s Day.  I’d prefer not to race on the Big Island because I’ve already been there.  Whether it’s Maui, Oahu or Kauai, I can’t lose.  I’d probably lean towards Honolulu (Oahu) because I think I can see pretty much all I want in 3 days instead of the 5-7 that I would need in Maui or Kauai.  I’d want to see Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach and the North Shore.  According to the website for the Memorial Day race, there is no mention of any vackseen or testing requirement.  That said, I will certainly verify that with the RD before I sign up.  If true, I would almost certainly choose that one over Maui. 

As far as lifting restrictions, recent news is mostly good.  Several blue states have lifted mask mandates.  Word on the street is that although the city of Los Angeles still has a vackseen requirement for indoor dining, it is rarely enforced.  While restrictions may not be fully lifted in Hawaii within 3 months, I do think that there is a realistic chance of normalcy within 9 months especially if COVID deaths continue to fall.  A talk show host brought up the Vietnam War.  Even among people who supported it at the time, very few people admitted it after it turned out the way it did.  Same with Iraq.  It took about 5 years for the country to form a consensus that it was a mistake.  Come 2025, very few people will admit that the lockdowns, masking and vackseen requirements were good ideas.  Sadly, I’m afraid that it really will take that long but if current trends continue, most restrictions will be lifted before the 2024 election.

What will I do that weekend instead?  Florida beach hopping from Bradenton to Fort Lauderdale.  My parents have expressed interest in joining me.  Who knows how many chances I will have to spend time with them?  If my parents are able to make the trip with me, Hawaii is OUT for sure.   

As far as my training, my results in early February have been no better.  The adrenal spike is not fading like I hoped it would.  I need mega doses of Thym-Adren to run at all.  This need has triggered demand for more Vitamin C because of the Copper content.  I had bad reaction to Whole Food C and Adenosyl B-12.  I think both are related to Copper and I know for sure that Whole Food C is related.  At least there is an explanation this time.  Instead of that, I need Methyl B12 and the Ascorbic Acid form of Vitamin C. 

Any hope of improvement on the horizon:

I’ve got blood donation scheduled for Sunday afternoon.  That might lower the Iron and thus slow down the adrenals.  Also, I could try again to reduce my Lactoferrin, which related to Iron metabolism.  My last resort is another liver flush, which I last did in 2016.  It dumped copper out of my organs and Taurine and Glutathione were effective in cleaning it out of my tissues.  However, I would have hoped that TRS would accomplish that without the harsh side effects.   The blood donation should reveal whether or not I have COVID antibodies as I still suspect that I had the virus over New Years.  If I do, MAYBE I can get around a vackseen mandate for a Hawaii race.        

No comments: