Friday, November 18, 2022

Oahu Hawaii Trip Report

 11/10-

No issues on the flight.  My layover was in Denver, so that meant my 2nd leg would be a full 7 hours.  We landed on schedule and I picked up my rental car around 5:00 local time.  That meant I would arrive at my hotel in Waikiki just as the sun was going down.  Beautiful!


11/11- 

Explored the south side of the island from Maili to Sherwood Forest Beach and sampled a couple beaches.  I found a stunning overlook near Sandy Beach.  By late afternoon, I was back in Waikiki. 


 







11/12-

Sunrise hike up Diamond Head with views of Honolulu down below.  The hike was not too difficult but provided a big reward.  From there, my choices were Pearl Harbor or just chill at Waikiki for the rest of the day.  You need several hours at Pearl Harbor to do it justice and there was a long line at the ticket counter so I opted for Waikiki.  The waves were tame there, which is just what I wanted.  I could not risk wearing myself out in rough surf with a death march the next day.  





Overall impression of Waikiki:

Somewhat overrated.  Stunningly beautiful especially around sunset but there is usually minimal surf and my biggest gripe was that the ocean floor is covered with rocks.  Aqua socks are a necessity.  If the surf is rough, don't go out unless you have a death wish.  Sure, I still liked it but other beaches were better and overall, I prefer the Big Island.  




11/13-

The day that I had been dreading.  Based on my training, I predicted a finish around 2:30 and I could not even manage that.  I took walk breaks at regular intervals and kept the planned pace through about 7 miles.  By Mile 10, I had completely melted down and was doing more walking than jogging.  Still, to my relief, I could have slow walked from there and still beat the time limit.  50 states is done but the predominant emotion is sadness.  Unless I find help for this medical condition, I am finished.  I am too young for this to be happening.  I knew that this day would come eventually but hoped it would not be for another 15-20 years.  STILL, no word from the Rheumatologist!!



I limped back to my hotel, showered up and hit the famed beaches on the North Shore.  Sunset Beach had beautiful blue water and no rocks, but the surf was too strong, even for me.  Not only were the waves high, they broke almost on dry sand.  Not safe.  Still, I caught some more beautiful sunset shots.  




11/14- 

Got some well deserved sleep then headed back to the North Shore.  First stop was the Dole Plantation.  I skipped the tour but did get some delicious pineapple ice cream  This time, I did find some beaches with rideable surf on the North Shore.  Later, I drove around the Windward side and saw some lush mountain scenery.  By late afternoon, I was back in Sherwood Forest, which remains my favorite beach on the island.  




11/15- 

Early morning flight to San Francisco.  I chose an overnight layover to break up the jet lag and do some touring.  I had 24 hours and made the most of it.  My hotel was within a half mile of the BART station at Embarcadero so I dropped off my bag and started walking.   I didn't make it all the way to Crissy Field but got close enough to see the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.  After a pretty good steak dinner where I met a nice girl from San Diego, I took a cable car back to my hotel.  






11/16-

Got up for the sunrise near the Bay Bridge and got some night shots of the skyline from Pier 14.  From there, I took BART to Mission St and walked to Dolores Park, where I was treated to very nice views of the skyline.  






Overall impression of San Francisco:

Better than I expected.  If you watch conservative news, you might think it's a drug den full of people defecating on the street.  Not true, at least not in the Financial District.  Don't knock California if you've never been there.  Also, Alabama is NOT full of racist low-lifes.  Don't knock Alabama if you've never been there.  



No comments: