Monday, November 7, 2022

Cytokine Suppress Product Review

 The product is made by a company called Life Extension.  It is called Cytokine Suppress (with EGCG).  The label says that it "helps modulate a healthy immune system response."  Its two active ingredients are Mung bean extract, which provides vitexin and isovitexin, and green tea extract.  I had never heard of mung bean extract or vitexin and still don't fully understand how they work.  I go through the bottles pretty quickly but thankfully I can order it through Amazon and get next day delivery.  

Where do I stand without it?

I cannot tolerate Probiotics without Taurine.  I get an instant negative reaction and my whole body tightens up.  However, if I take the Taurine WITH the Probiotics, I will be better off than if I take neither of the two.  Same way with the Taurine alone.  The reaction is exactly the same as with the Probiotics alone. The two must be taken together.

I have the exact same issues with TRS and Fulvic Acid.  They must be taken together.  Both or neither.  I am extremely dependent on both of them.  If I miss a dose, I will be awful.  I still need adrenal support too.  As for the methylation, I'm not sure if I need it anymore but I'm afraid to try to stop it.  I take it occasionally and have no problems.

Where do I stand with it?

I did have an early adjustment period.  When I first took it, it felt like a miracle.  I was back to my old self on the sprints in the morning.  Unfortunately, it was short-lived and within an hour, the fatigue kicked in with a vengeance.  It was WORSE than before.  This pattern evolved into an extreme dependence on the product, but I have since stabilized.  

How effective?

It is clear to me that the extreme reactions to benign supplements are due to autoimmune issues and a problem with Cytokines is at the very least, a huge part of the issue.  If my Cytokines are sufficiently suppressed, yes, I will notice when I take Probiotics without Taurine and vice versa but the ill-effects are far less severe.  Also, I am much less dependent.  I can get away with not taking the TRS on a long weekend and I won't feel terrible.  

Still Intolerant to Certain Pills?

Unfortunately, yes.  My reaction to IP-6 last week was SCARY!  I was so sore that I was walking gingerly and thought I had somehow injured my knee.  Thankfully, I did not.  Also, the sensitivity to Probiotics or Taurine alone kicked in with a vengeance.  Cytokine suppressants did mitigate some of the ill-effects but it wasn't enough.  If that had happened 1-2 days before race day, I could never finish.  Do IP-6 and Quercetin increase Cytokines?  Probably.  If so, it would explain the intolerance.  Still, I should not have been THAT bad!

Conclusion:

Definitely a YUGE help but probably not enough to get me back to where I want to be.  Odds are that I need something else and/or something stronger.  I need to see that Rheumatologist, but I still have not heard back and it's been more than 2 months.  I've nagged my PCP about it, and they say that they're "trying."  I hope to avoid corticosteroids.

Plan:

After Hawaii, I will take 6 weeks off running and try to cut out sugars.  I will hit the Probiotics and Taurine HARD and am leaning towards trying Eye-Vermectin as well.  I might do a couple of small test sprints but that's it.  After Christmas, I will hit the reset button and come back as far as I can.  I do hope to at least be able to finish a 10K in under 60 minutes consistently until I am 50.   



No comments: