Monday, August 17, 2026

Training 8/17-8/23

 8/17-AM.  78 degrees with a 72 dew point at 6AM!  Not fun.  We should begin to see relief by the end of the week.  Vestavia Mile in 8:11.  Cut off another 24 seconds and have pulled to within 41 of the reset PR.  That seems less insurmountable now. Just over 10 seconds per lap.  Knock the temp and dew point down by 10 and I am very close to 8.

I was on pace for a sub-8 through 600 then faded pretty hard.  Splits were 1:59-2:04-2:07-2:01.  That's still okay pacing for a Mile.  I took over 6000 MF and tolerated the Thym Adren.  If anything, the Thym Adren was too low.  Considering the weekend that I had, I've gotta be pleased.

PM- Less humid but hotter.  Temp was close to 100 degrees out there.  Easy 2 on Lakeshore in 19:36 (9:48 pace). Fine with this one.  Decent pacing especially under the conditions.  Splits were 9:44-9:52.  I have decided to temporarily jack up the Thym Adren then try to gradually reduce it.  

Distance-3.0

8/18- 3 miles on Lakeshore in 30:19 (10:06 pace).  Mixed feelings about this one.  I am clearly headed in the right direction.  Last week, I only managed a 31:56 so I chopped off more than 30 seconds per mile.  Still, I hoped for better.  If I can threaten an 8:00 Mile, I should be well under 30 for 3 miles.  

Splits were 9:42-9:56-10:41.  That last mile was about as painful as it appears.  I can blame it on the heat.  93 degrees with a 103 heat index.  Not much better than yesterday but relief is on the way.  Next week, low temps will dip below 70.

Though I have avoided energy drinks this week, I did have a couple of Cokes.  I felt noticeably stiffer afterwards.  Hope I don't face another withdrawal.

Distance-3.0

8/19- FAILURE!  Turned around after just a quarter mile at a pace approaching 12.  I was hurting this morning due to lack of B6.  Unfortunately, too much B6 triggered a reaction because my Cal/Mag is too low.

Distance-0.5

8/20- Unplanned rest day.  It appears that I am correct about the B6 and Cal Mag.  MUCH WORSE after taking stand alone Mag but got better after Paramin.  Sugar and caffeine aren't good but the reaction to alcohol was worse.  Finished what was left of my 6 pack tonight and will not drink again until further notice.  

8/21- Interval tests confirmed everything that I suspected.  Didn't try on no pills.  Took the MF and Thym Adren and felt a discernable improvement.  I expected to get worse after the B complex then rebound after Paramin.  

Opener- 1:32

B Complex-1:50

Paramin-1:35.

Distance-0.5

The reaction to the B complex was exactly what I expected.  I figured that the Paramin would split the difference with a 1:40ish.  It got me almost all the way back.  Hopefully, I don't need the B-complex every day and it will be better tolerated when the Cal/Mag is balanced.

8/22- Took no B-complex but the full dose of MF and Thym Adren.  Passed the Mile mark in 11:40 bit hoped to get a modest boost after Paramin.  Nope.  I got worse and couldn't even finish the back half.  

Got home and took the B-complex.  This time, I got major boost.  Improved my Montreat half loop time from 2:13 to 1:28.  

Distance-2.0

8/23- Again, I got a boost from the B-complex but it wasn't as dramatic as yesterday.  Much worse again after the Paramin but better after stand alone Cal.  I will stick with the B complex but the Cal Mag needs to be tweaked.

Distance-1.0

10 miles on the week.

No comments: