I had 2 stressful SNAFUS just before the trip. I got a fraud report on my debit card and my cell phone was having issues with the charger. I took care of both issues but left in a rush and forgot to pack my passport. I feared the worst but fortunately, since it was a domestic flight, I only had to pay $45 and did not face additional scrutiny.
9/2-
No issues on the flights. There was a tight connection in Denver but I made it to the gate just before they began the boarding process. I was on the road just after 1 PM local time. From Grand Junction, it was about 2 hours to Moab. I stopped a couple of times but still made it before dinner. I drove through Canyonlands really just to check it out and plan for tomorrow. It was a little rushed but I got to Dead Horse State Park just after sunset and still saw some nice colors.
9/3-
First stop was Arches NP and a repeat of the Delicate Arch hike from 2020 (3.2 miles round trip). I wanted to do that before it got too hot. It was worth it. The weather was pretty good overall. Sunny to partly cloudy most of the time. Depending on the elevation, the temps ranged from the low 60s to the mid 80s with low humidity. Canyonlands is a little cooler than Arches because the elevation is about 1,000 feet higher. I did one more short hike at Arches then went back to Moab for some pizza.
Next, it was a proper tour of Canyonlands, which was uncharted territory. No big hikes but several stops at pullouts. The highlight was a short hike of about a half mile to Mesa Arch. It was awesome. I left Moab about 3:30 and it was slightly less than 2 hours southeast to Cortez, Colorado. As planned, I skipped the 4 corners monument because it was 45 minutes away and is not actually located at the exact border.
9/4
Mesa Verde then lunch in Durango. I do vaguely remember being in Mesa Verde as a teen but that was 30 years ago. It did not disappoint. I skipped the organized tour so I only got a quick look at the dwelling but the overlooks were worth it. It was about 40 minutes to Durango and lunch was Texas BBQ. From Durango, I took a 20 minute detour south to the New Mexico border.
In the afternoon, it was the Million Dollar Highway up to Montrose. Yes, there were a few spots that were a little scary with a big drop off the road and no guardrails. However, compared to 340 in Maui, it was a piece of cake. I made one stop in Ridgeway State Park, which had nice mountain lakes. I arrived in Montrose around 5, which gave me enough time to sample Gunnison. I was told that we went there as a family back in 1996 but I have no recollection of being there before.
9/5-
Proper tour of Gunnison with several short hikes to a deep canyon with a river running through it. I had a close call with a deer but my luck held.
From Gunnison, I took a scenic byway to Mesa, a small town just 30 minutes or so from Grand Junction with more beautiful overlooks. I got a very good burger there. It was too early to check in back at Grand Junction so I checked out Aspen, which was about 2 hours away. I wasn't overly impressed with Aspen. I'm sure the vibe is very much different in the winter but IMO, Breckenridge is the better ski town. Even still, the scenery on the way made it worth it. It was already dark by the time I got back to Grand Junction.
9/6-
Had time for an underrated park called Colorado National Monument just 20 minutes west of Grand Junction. This was much better than expected. Still in Colorado but some definite Utah vibes. No issues on the flight home but glad I didn't have to work the next day (Labor Day)
No comments:
Post a Comment