Saturday, October 10, 2026

Probiotic Mess/Veterans Day Trip

 I am now intolerant to Syntol Probiotics. Just a few weeks ago, they were absolutely necessary.  Nothing new for me! I'll bet that those pills will become a non-factor in a month or two.  Is it the probiotics or the prebiotics that I can't take or is it the pill form?  

I'll pick up an inexpensive probiotic at the store next week to answer this question.  I did eat 2 cups of yogurt this morning for breakfast without any issues so maybe it's the pills.  

To add to the drama, if I go overboard with the forbidden drinks, I need the pills again.  However, if I abstain for just one day, the intolerance kicks in bigly!  At first, it appeared that energy drinks were the only problem.  That does make sense because the Taurine in Red Bull can counteract the Probiotics.  One day, I had an episode in which I drank an iced tea with no problem then a beer with no problem but from the first sip of Coke, OUCH!  

Odds are that the one Coke (caffeine) wasn't the problem.  It only became one because it was the 3rd forbidden drink of the day.  Next day, alcohol was the only forbidden drink that I had.  No caffeine, tea or even non-caffeinated sugared drinks.  Only problem was that I drank the equivalent of 3 beers.  Hardly a binge but OUCH!  Next morning, I couldn't run at all but Syntol helped until the afternoon.  I was clean the next day and by the evening, I was once again intolerant to Syntol.

Going forward, it appears that I can handle an occasional Coke or beer but no more than 1 per day.  I showed some promise in my workout today (1 Mile in 8:18) despite raw and windy conditions. I was on sub-8 pace for 600 before fading at the end.  I'm shooting for a 5K in 4 weeks.

I'm now leaning TOWARDS Los Angeles the weekend before Veterans Day.  After the recent heat wave, the water temperature is up to 75.  I bet that will hold up for another 4 weeks.  I'm sure it will dip a bit but it should remain above 68.  Yes, there is a 5K in Malibu that weekend.  

Odds are that I would fly to LAX and stay in Santa Monica, within walking distance of both the beach and the Metro.  No need to worry about the key fob and I can probably get a good deal because it's the off-season.

Here's a list of some of the things I'd like to see:

Zuma and Malibu Beach 

Topanga and Tuna State Park 

Ronald Reagan Library 

Venice Beach boardwalk 

Griffith Park

Hollywood Blvd

Echo Park and/or City Hall 

Rooftop Bar

Petersen Auto Museum 

LA Coliseum and Rose Bowl

USC/UCLA 

Obviously, I need more than 2 days to see all that and there's plenty to do even if it's not pleasant for swimming.  As far as the traffic, I don't anticipate any problems on the weekend going to Malibu, Simi Valley or Pasadena.  On a Monday or Tuesday, I will use public transportation to get to downtown or to Hollywood especially if it is rush hour.  Santa Monica to LAX also avoids the freeways.  

Stop over from Hawaii:

San Francisco is the more convenient option.  In LA, flights don't arrive until very late.  I'd have to stay near the airport and would have to spend 2 nights if I want to do any touring at all.  Without a car, I am limited to downtown and Hollywood.  In SF,  flights usually arrive at a reasonable time.  I can take BART to my hotel, go out for a drink and maybe see a park but that's probably it.  One night is all I need.  I've stayed in Embarcadero and the Mission District.  This time, I will opt for Union Square, which is probably the most upscale part of town.  

No comments: