Monday, April 5, 2010

training 4/5-4/11

4/5- Lakeshore 10 in 79:20 (7:56 pace). It was one of those go figure type of days. I struggled through much of the workout but whenever I tried to pick up the pace, it actually felt easier. Final .12 was at 5:33 pace so I had plenty left. Average overall. I will probably rest tomorrow.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=10.0

4/6- Completely wiped out. I'll be back tomorrow. I dreamed that I was going to some mysterious luxury resort on the GA/FL border and I had to fly even though it was only 5 hours away. I ended up in the Miami area where the weather was snow flurries. LOL!

4/7- Trak Shak run with Preston. Interesting conversation. Ran the first 5 easy (about 8:30 pace) then hit the accelerator and managed a sub-7 pace for the final 3. Overall time was 63:35 (7:57 pace). Two very scary instances: Tweaked my ankle just I was starting my pick up and later had a car pull out right in front of me. I had to stop suddenly and was very angry but the important thing was that I wasn't hit. Fortunately, the ankle appears to be all right. Thank God. I finished the 3 at tempo pace without incident then sat down for several minutes and ran a 1.5 cool down without a problem. It is tender but it not bruised or swollen. I can probably run through this but will stay on the track until further notice. Average performance.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=9.5

4/8- Survived the workout and that's about all that I was hoping for. The ankle was stiff all through the day but once I got warmed up, I barely noticed it. Vestavia 4 in 31:28 (7:52 pace). Slowed down a bit in the 2nd half but that was by design. Walked a lap then ran 8x200. Struggled early but improved by the end. Averaged about 35 with a final 200 in 31.1. Pace per mile was 4:45-4:50 so that's about 30 seconds faster than goal race pace. 1/2 mile cool down. Ankle stiffened again after the workout but no worse than before it. Probably a good call to run through it. Should be over 50 on the week.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=5.5

4/9- Vestavia 5 in 41:11 (8:14 pace). Funny thing. I felt pretty well during the day but my legs were crap from the start of the run. Oh well. This was a planned easy day and my pace was within the range... barely. I don't think I am quite in the shape I was in for Baton Rouge but I can turn the corner in the next 2 weeks.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

4/10- Needed extra sleep and dreamed about a car wreck and hiding from the cops to avoid a possible DUI charge. LOL. Woke up feeling awful, took some taurine, which made it worse. I popped a manganese and chromium pill and was a lot better within an hour. Vestavia 13 in 1:43:57 (7:59 pace). Amazingly even splits: 7:56-8:02. Took a short rest then ran 3 more in 21:58 (7:19 pace). I was hoping for a half marathon race pace on the final 3, which would have been good training for the real thing but came up short and really struggled in the 2nd mile. Splits were 7:15-7:33-7:10 with 94 last go round. Still a decent run. I know now that I need to take the manganese more than once a week.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=16.0

4/11- Lakeshore 6.5 in 51:xx (7:53 pace). I needed chromium and manganese again. WTH? Strong start, weak finish. Tried to pick up the pace in the last mile and had very little left in the tank. I did run after noon with sunny skies and temps in the 70s so that may have sapped my strength. I feel wiped out and will rest tomorrow.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
A step backward in terms of quality from last week. I am switching back to the Lithium and avoiding anything with zinc because it depletes chromium. Highest mileage since January and I am pleased with that. I may try some choline/inositiol but don't want to alter my formula too much with race day so close. Next week will be the start of a longer taper.
Distance=52.5/GPA= 24.4/9= 2.71

No comments: