Monday, July 12, 2010

training 7/12-7/18

7/12- 6x600 with a 200 jog R. I had hoped to do 8 of these but I cut it back because the heat index was close to 100. I should have waited until 7 PM. I hoped to average under 2:00, which I just missed. Times were 2:00-2:00-2:01-1:59-2:06-1:58. Pace per mile: 5:23. Average performance. The pills were in balance. It was natural fatigue. When I don't rest after a race and do my easy runs at 7:43, this is what happens. If my mileage is over 40, easy runs should be near 8:00 and recovery jogs don't work for me. I need a day of complete rest.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=3.5

7/13- Planned rest day. I was back out there less than 36 hours later rather than 48.

7/14-AM- 8 mile progression run with Gee-off's group. Average pace was 7:35 with the final 3 miles at BQ pace. I stuck with the group but it required a lot of energy to do so. This one could cost me tonight. Lost key on the run but fortunately had a spare in the glove compartment.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=8.0
PM- Trak Shak 5 in 92 degree heat. Aimed for 8:00 pace and ended up at 7:39. That's too fast. I do get a rest day tomorrow.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

7/15- Planned rest day. Well deserved. 9 hours of sleep and no bizarre dreams.

7/16- Another Friday let down. I took only 1 glutamine and it was too much. It did not clear my system by the evening either. I did not even attempt a time trial and it was too bad because a nearby storm had cooled things down. Vestavia 3 in 22:06 (7:22 pace) and it was tough.
1 hour rest then 3.5 with Ryan and Chilton at 9:00 pace.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=6.5

7/17- AM- only took half a glutamine last night and had an immediate negative reaction. As expected, it did not clear in time for the morning long run so I had to bail on it and squeezed in 1.5 at Vestavia before it got too hot and humid. Time was 10:22 with the last 4 laps in 6:47. An all out mile would not have been much below 6:30. When it does clear my system, I'll be fresh and there's potential for something special.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=1.5
PM- Some of it has cleared. Indoor 5 miler in 36:44 (7:21 pace). Saved something for tomorrow's possible time trial. Miles 3 and 4 were around 7:30 and were difficult. Improvement.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

7/18- Last night, I didn't take anything and woke up this morning with my legs feeling as stiff as a board. I responded by taking a full pill in the morning and it was too much. I'll try to settle on 1/2 but I really think that my magic formula could be more like 1/3 and yes there is a difference between 1/3 and 1/2. At least I am trending down and I can only hope that one day I'll be free from this stuff and I'll only have to take the Lithium
AM- tried a mile time trial and bailed on it after the first lap. I'd estimate that I would have run around 5:45. Tried some 200s and could not better 31 seconds.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=1.0
PM- Indoor 5 mile time trial in 33:57. I still had some excess glutamine in my system but I was pleased with this one. Still a full minute down on my PR.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
If I can get off the glutamine/taurine, I will break through this Fall.
Distance=36.0/GPA=23/9= 2.56

No comments: