Monday, March 19, 2012

Training 3/19-3/25

3/19- Junk run. 2 miles in 14:53 plus another half mile. Pace was just about the norm and my legs were appropriately sore. Unfortunately, I had to cut it short because of terrible stomach cramps. No cause for concern. I know it was due to an afternoon snack that simply did not agree with me. I will consider this a rest day and run all 7 days again this week. The next week is a race week and will have multiple rest days.
Grade:None/0 credit/distance=2.5

3/20- Johnny's workout went well. Long intervals was just what I needed. 6x800 with an avg. of 2:47. (2:47-2:47-2:48-2:48-2:49-2:39). That's a 5:33 pace overall. I could feel the benefit of last week's 200 and my strength was good. I typically came through the first lap in 82-83 and held the pace well. Temp was near 80, which didn't bother me. The 15 mph wind was annoying. I think I could have done 2:45s in calm conditions, which is comparable to my high school interval workouts. R was a 200 m jog except for #3 (400 jog). I think that I am good for a Mile near 5:20 right now but the focus on the 5K. According to McMillan, there is a big drop off between my Mile PR and my 5K. Time to close that gap and let's finally beat that HS PR.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=6.0

3/21- Trak Shak 8 at moderate effort. Finished in 57:48 (7:14 pace). That's exactly 3:10 BQ pace. All 8 miles were under 7:30 and for y'all that know this course, that's pretty good to stay that even on the hills. 1st half: 28:55, 2nd half: 28:53. Felt very strong. My short interval session could be rained out tomorrow so that's why this one was moderate instead of easy.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=8.5

3/22- Sprint workout was rained out as expected. That means that it will be postponed until either tomorrow or Sunday. I'm leaning towards Sunday because my LR will not be too long. It will still be run on tired legs. Today's workout was a naked 6 miler indoors at easy effort. Very smooth and relaxed. Strong performance.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

3/23- Weather has cleared but it's sticky and uncomfortable. I opted to put off the sprint workout until Sunday because I didn't want to be too sore for my long run tomorrow. 7 miles with clothes in 51:57 (7:26 pace). Even pace, felt strong. Only concern was a trace funny feeling in the foot after I finished. I need a day off soon.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

3/24- 13 mile Gnome run. Solid performance overall but not among my best. Very uneven pace. Slow start, ripped off several BQ miles then faded to 7:45 in the last 2. Finished at 1:37:18 (7:29 pace), which takes me up to 58 in the last 7 days. That's too close to the danger zone so I'm not concerned that I faded at the end. Can I handle a sprint workout tomorrow? My only shot is to do it in the evening to allow for more rest time.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=13.0

3/25- No big surprise. I was too wiped out for a sprint workout. The mileage must be cut to the low 40s in order to handle an interval/tempo AND sprint workout. I warmed up with a mile at base effort then ran 2 200s into the wind in 35.7 and 34.4. My legs had no power so I decided that was enough. I punted from there and struggled through another 3 miles at base effort and a half mile cool. Overall time for the 4 miles was 30:40 (7:40 pace).
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
A rest is needed. Fortunately, the plan calls for very low mileage over the next 2 weeks. I've got a local 5K next Saturday and a 10K the following weekend. With one week to go in the 1st quarter, I stand at 478 miles. I'll be hard pressed to beat last year's total but that's not the aim this year. The quality will only increase later this Spring.
Distance=48.0/GPA= 27.4/8= 3.43

No comments: