Monday, June 25, 2018

Training 6/25-7/1

6/25- Day 7. AM- Hated test interval workout at Gold's Pelham.  4x400.  As a baseline, if I had taken neither the MF nor the Sam-e, it would have been right around 2:00 (8:00 pace).  Here are the stats:
0 MF- 2:17 (9:08 pace)
400 MF- 1:50 (7:20 pace)
800 MF- 1:35 (6:20 pace)
1200 MF- 1:19 (5:16 pace)
At 1200, I felt "almost normal" and the pace was actually slowed by the tight turns.  I believe I had a 75 in me on a 400 meter track. 1400 is optimal just like before.  1600 probably would have worked as well but 2000 left me considerably weaker.  I did not run an interval but suspect it would have been around 1:35-1:40.  2400 would put me back to 1:50ish.  I HATE the sensitivity but at least it was stable in the past.  Sam-e is a viable option.

PM- 3 miles in 22:35 (7:32 pace).  Not half bad for being weakened by the excess MF.  On the optimal dose, I'm probably around 21-flat if not a little better.  Actually managed a slight negative split.  This was MINUS 5 compared to yesterday.  Tonight, I'll try extra Sarcosine again but predict it will be a non-factor.  I likely had problems with higher Sarcosine doses because of TMG not caffeine but I'm sticking with the restrictions.
Distance=4.0

Sam-e versus TMG:
One of the 2 must be taken in order for the Methylfolate (MF) to be tolerated.  With Sam-e, I need a near exact ratio of 3-4 parts MF per part Sam-e.  I currently take 400 mg Sam-e so I will perform only if I take between 1200-1600 MF.  Suppose I drop the Sam-e down to 200.  In that case, I'll perform only if I take 600-800.  Sam-e is MUCH more expensive as well.

If I switched to TMG, my MF dosage DOES NOT MATTER!  My times will be the same for each interval give or take 1-2 seconds regardless of whether I take 400 MF or 2400 MF.   I'll save quite a bit of money in the process as well.  Obviously, that's a far better scenario than what is described above.  There is only one problem.  I CANNOT TOLERATE TMG WITH SARCOSINE!  Even without Sarcosine, my tolerance was limited to 1000 mg.  If there's anything I can do so that I can tolerate it, I'll try it.  That's where Yasko's BHMT comes into play.  Indeed I do have the genetic defect and its action is to process TMG according to the methylation cycle diagram.

6/26- The extra Sarcosine left me a bit weakened but I was still able to salvage a workout.  2 miles out and back on Lakeshore in 15:04 (7:32 pace).  Faded a bit on the back half but this was done in 92 degree heat with a 102 heat index.  Same pace as yesterday but 1 mile shorter.  I bet I hold this pace indoors for another mile.  2 scoops it is.

I have mixed feeling about this one.  2 scoops should be enough to be effective but it's a bit unnerving to be weakened by taking more.  Then again, I wasn't horrible out there today and if I had attempted this dose with TMG, forget it.  It would have been 20 minutes or more for 2 miles.

I am prepared to endure another rough day tomorrow because Yasko suggested Phospho Serine instead of TMG for short cut methylation support.  I predict a similar outcome as with the Sam-e.  It will be a ratio with the MF.  PS is slightly cheaper than Sam-e so yes, it could be an option.  Again, with TMG, the ratios don't matter.  A mega dose of MF won't effect me and both PS and Sam-e will also be tolerated at large doses.  IF ONLY I CAN FIGURE OUT A WAY TO TOLERATE TMG!  Yasko's BHMT nucleotide product should arrive soon.
Distance=2.0
Regarding the heat, if I had waited just 30-45 minutes after work, it would have been MUCH more comfortable.  I intend to do that more often as the summer wears on.  That's one thing I like about Central time.  Workouts after work would be unbearable at 5 PM eastern (4:00 Central)

6/27- This is a YUGE DAY!
AM- Tried Phospho-Serine for the shortcut pathway.  It was interesting.  Took 2 pills and it was a non-factor.  Opened with a quarter mile in 1:59.5 (7:58 pace), which is just about what I did without either MF or Sam-e.
400 MF- Slipped to 2:05 (8:20 pace)  PLUS 22
1200 MF- 2:06 (8:24 pace)  PLUS 4
Took a Sam-e later and I did improve but it did not feel the same as my top form yesterday.
Reaction:
Interestingly, the PS seemed to mitigate some of the ill-effects of taking the MF or Sam-e alone BUT the benefits of taking them both together were not fully realized either.  PS is NOT a viable option.

PM-  On Sam-e, I opened with a 1:38 (6:32 pace).  Nearly 2 minutes faster thanks to the Sam-e but still NOT even close to my top form yesterday, which was a 1:19 (5:16 pace)
-Did not have TMG but did have DMG, which I figured would have a similar effect.  Indeed it did.
Slipped to a 1:58 (7:52 pace).  PLUS 80.  Again, this was after just 1 pill.

Next, it was the moment of truth.
HOW WOULD I DO ON THE NEW YASKO NUCLEOTIDE PRODUCT?
- I could definitely feel a difference after just half a dropper.
Improved all the way down to 1:30.5 (6:02 pace).  Still, that's short of yesterday possibly due to the PS but the DMG+ nucleotide actually worked better than Sam-e.  30 SECONDS BETTER!
-To prove it was no fluke, I took just a trace more and improved to a 1:23.1 (5:32 pace) for another MINUS 30!  Tacked on a cool down.
Distance=3.0
-Reaction:
I have 2 viable options now.  The Sam-e with the ratio OR the DMG (TMG will likely produce the same effects) plus the nucleotide product with flexible doses of MF.  So far, it looks like the TMG+ is the better option.  Things are beginning to look up now but again, it's way too early to celebrate anything.

6/28- 3 miles in 22:28 (7:29 pace).  Well, I did get below 7:30 pace today (MINUS 3) but it was not a significant difference from the last 2 days.  Felt heavy and slow on Sam-e and even with the nucleotide product, I remain sensitive.  If this is the best I can do on Sam-e, it is not real good.  I am going with the TMG and hope it's better.  Cheated on the diet yesterday but I got back on track today and I don't think it hurt me.  TMG with the nucleotide product appears to be well tolerated.
Distance=3.0

6/29- Unplanned rest day.  I WAS SO BAD THAT I WAS ACTUALLY WALKING WITH A LIMP!  I doubt that I am injured.  It's the pills.  I thought TMG would be okay.  Apparently not.  Why did this happen?  2 theories:
- DMG plus the nucleotide product is tolerated but TMG is not.  At least not yet.  It's possible that the TMG is simply a bridge too far at least for the time being.  This is only the 3rd day on the nucleotide and after taking a large dose the first day, I have cut it down.  I DID FEEL BETTER WHEN I GOT HOME AFTER I TOOK MORE NUCLEOTIDE SUPPORT!  Also, I took twice the dose of TMG as I did the DMG and TMG only comes in 500 or 1000 mg.

TMG may require more nucleotide support than DMG to be tolerated and this appears to be doubly true as the dose increases.  Previous treatments have "worked around" the genetic mutations.  This one goes right to the source!  Perhaps it will take time to build up a reserve or I simply need a high dose given that the pathway is SEVERELY blocked.  At any rate, even a cut from 1000 to 500 may still require a lot of nucleotide support.

In contrast, the DMG might be just as effective and better tolerated.  Another advantage is that it does come in smaller doses.  If 250 mg or less is effective, I'm going with it.  It should also require less nucleotide support as well.  This SEEMS LIKE MY BEST OPTION!

6/30- AM- DMG IT IS!  Another hated interval test at Vestavia:
Took 500 TMG and opened with a pathetic 2:29.2 (9:57 pace)
Took a full dropper of the nucleotide.  I did expect to be better, maybe around 2:00, but I never expected a 1:36.8 (6:27 pace).  MINUS 3:30!  Yes, you read that correctly.  I WAS 3 MINUTES AND 30 SECONDS FASTER PER MILE WITH THE NUCLEOTIDE!!
I suspect that a 2nd dropper would have brought me all the way back (under 80 seconds) but I didn't try it.  The nucleotide product is very expensive and I just can't afford to go through an $85 bottle in 2 weeks or less especially if DMG is effective and does not seem to require as much nucleotide support.

Speaking of DMG, things got even more interesting after I took some of that stuff.  After one of those pills, I expected to be slightly weakened (maybe 1:45ish).  Nope.  I actually got better and ran the next lap in 1:31.2 (6:05 pace) MINUS 22.  I ran the next 200 as a cool down then got the idea to take another DMG and sprint the next 200.  I clocked a solid 35.5 (4:44 pace).  No doubt that it would have been significantly better than the 91 over a full lap.  I'm guessing between 80-85.

 Now the question is:  Is DMG really beneficial to me?  Not sure.  It's possible it took more than just a few minutes for the full effect of the nucleotide to kick in and therefore, I could have done it just the same if not better without it.  Again, I know for sure that I will be weakened significantly (PLUS 80) if I take DMG without the nucleotide. 

PM- 2x200 at Vestavia plus a cool.  Heat was not a factor at this distance.
Interval #1 was a solid 35.0 (4:40 pace)
Interval #2 was a decent 37.7 (5:02 pace) AFTER another DMG, I was a bit weakened.
This tells me that the tolerance to DMG is NOT unlimited but I won't be horrible if I take too much as is the case with the Sarcosine.  I'll take the minimum effective dose and limit the nucleotide to half a dropper and hope it's sufficient.

How do I know that DMG is effective?  My MF dose will not matter.  I will feel and perform about the same regardless of whether I take 400 or 2400.  With Sam-e, I need at least 1200 and no more than 1600 or else and even then, my performance may still be sub-par.
Distance= 2.0

7/1- Day 1- In theory, everything is all squared away.  We shall see about what happens in reality.  I've thought that many times before and ended up being burned.  One more thing that I'd like to re-try is Liver Beef but that will wait until after next week.  Even if it's tolerated, it will only be taken occasionally.  Today's "workout" was 6x200 at Vestavia plus a 400 cool down.  I deliberately took it slower because my plantar fasciitis has flared up.  I hope it's due to cheating on the sugar and will go away when I am back on track.  I took the nucleotide about 30 minutes before the start. Again, I made it a point to keep the effort level consistent on each interval.

Opened with no DMG and 1200 MF and clocked a 60.0 (8:00 pace)
Took half a DMG (125 mg) and improved to 52.5 (7:00 pace)  MINUS 60
Upped the MF to 2000 and slipped to 56.0 (7:28 pace) PLUS 28
Upped the DMG to 250 and improved to 48.2 (6:26 pace) MINUS 62
Upped the MF to 2800 and improved to 47.0 (6:16 pace) MINUS 10
Upped the DMG to 500 and slipped back to 48.2 (6:26 pace) PLUS 10
Not too much difference with extra MF or with extra DMG.

Reaction:
YES!  DMG WILL EFFECTIVE ELIMINATE MF SENSITIVITY!  I need at least 200 DMG for it to be effective.  At or beyond that dose, the amount of MF doesn't matter.  Just like with TMG, I will likely get no additional benefit above 400 but unlike with SAM-e, mega doses of MF will be tolerated.  If I take too much DMG, I will be weakened but not too severely and a little extra nucleotide support will mitigate the ill-effects.  With TMG, at least for the time being, it's a bridge too far and requires a LOT more nucleotide support to be tolerated.  I'm going with DMG and combined with the Sarcosine, it should IN THEORY ELIMINATE ALL SENSITIVITY!!!


No comments: