Monday, July 16, 2018

Training 7/20-7/29

As planned, I'm taking at least 4-5 days off, probably a few more in hopes of jump starting the motivation.  Physically, there is NO WAY that I am burned out considering the low volume over the past 3+ years.  Emotionally and mentally is another matter with all the trial and error that I've had to do.  Now that chapter appears to be over once I confirm that Thym Adren vs ADHS makes little difference.  I also expect NADH to be a non-factor.    If the adrenal support is approximately equal, I'm going with the ADHS because it's a modulator.  Thus, I won't be hurt by taking too much of it.  It sure is nice to just take the same cocktail every day with no self-imposed pressure of training at least for a few days.  Soon, I WILL be back.

7/19- It's Thursday night and I do plan on running a short 2-3 miler tomorrow to ease back in.  Mentally, I feel I am ready for it.  The big change that must be made is to slow down my training paces.  Face it, I'm not even close to a sub-1:30 performer anymore and I've got to stop pretending that I am.  The 1:50 in Wisconsin is probably a fair assessment though I probably could have done better in cooler or overcast conditions.  Standard issue runs will be in the 8:30 range if not slower.  In other news, I've signed up for both the DC half and the Detroit half so now is to time to roll.

7/20- 2 miles in 17:54 (8:57 pace).  Pretty much what I planned to do but a little slower.  I did NOT feel good and was working for a 9 minute pace at the end.  No need to panic yet.  The first day back after any layoff is always a little rough.  I just donated blood just over 36 hours prior to this workout as well.  I think I've seen enough to know that Thym-Adren will NOT produce any gains so I'm going with the ADHS.  NADH may be a slight positive but I didn't test it out in a run.  One final tweak has to do with the nucleotide product.  Can I get by with just a few drops or do I need a bit more?  If that fails, I go back to Sam-e and must deal with the sensitivity, which I'd really prefer not to do.  I'd be willing to sacrifice some speed to avoid that scenario.
Distance=2.0
EDIT:
It took about an hour or so for the ill-effects to kick in but NADH is clearly a NO.  Sarcosine did mitigate some of the damage but I still expect to struggle tomorrow.  This sets the formula with the exception of a possible minor tweak with the nucleotide.

7/21- Improvement.  3 miles in 25:24 (8:28 pace).  This was an improvement over yesterday despite the NADH still being in my system.  This was just about what I planned to do today.  Yes, I was weakened but without the Sarcosine, I would not be able to run at all.  This was done in spite of sultry conditions (low temp was near 80).

PM- 4x400 at Vestavia in much less humid conditions.  All were done at a comfortable effort.  Experimented with Sam-e vs DMG.  All laps were between 1:44-1:48 so I may have been slightly better on Sam-e but it's not enough to be considered significant.  Both are comparable in terms of effectiveness provided I take a few drops of nucleotide but with Sam-e, I need a very narrow range of MF to perform.  With DMG, my MF dose does not matter.  400 or 2400, I will be about the same.  I'm going with the DMG.
Distance=4.0

7/22- Planned rest day.  All systems are a go.  The formula is set.  It's now or never.

7/23- AM- Easy 4 at Lakeshore on a cooler than average morning.  Finished in 32:55 (8:14 pace) and held back to do so.  This was faster than the planned 8:30ish but that's okay.  It was done on fresh legs.  So far so good.  Everything is going as planned.  I've cheated a bit on caffeine the last few days but have NOT binged.  Still, for the last time, it needs to go.  Most likely, that's it for today.  If I falter later this week, it should not be too bad of a detox reaction.  I'm going to try to up my Vitamin E to get a boost but it will probably be a non-factor.
Distance=4.0

7/24- Planned rest day but I did do 1 junk mile.  Detox has indeed occurred.
Distance=1.0

7/25- Trak Shak 3 in 25:09 (8:23 pace) plus a mile cool.  Again, this is pretty much according to plan.  Hope to hit 30 this week then add some quality next week.
Distance=4.0

7/26- Lakeshore 3 in 25:35 (8:32 pace).  Slightly worse than yesterday but not significantly so.  Took Thym-Adren instead of ADHS and though it was not a disaster, I was a bit more sluggish than usual.  Even with ADHS plus stability, I haven't exactly been setting the world on fire as of late.  If I had to guess, I'm going through a detox reaction and may need temporary adrenal stimulus rather than suppression. I've ordered Endodren.   I was in a similar situation after the liver flush in 2014 and it worked out well.
Distance=3.0

7/27- Lakeshore 1 in 9:55.  Culprit was Taurine.  It's tolerated once in a while but not everyday.  Lesson learned but I won't be recovered in time for the long run.
Distance= 1.0

7/28- Interesting road trip to Starkville, MS to see the Grant presidential library.  Stopped in Columbus, MS and Tuscaloosa, AL on the way back.

PM- 2 miles in 17:52 (8:56 pace).  Just about what I expected.  New products have arrived so tomorrow could be interesting.
Distance= 2.0

7/29- Interesting as expected.  Junk intervals at Vestavia.
Opener- 400 in 2:22 (9:28 pace)
Adrenal stimulant- 2:21.6 (9:26 pace).  NOT SIGNIFICANT
Yucca- 1:56.8 (7:47 pace)  MINUS 99
Added 2x200 at the end.
More adrenal stimulant- 52.5 (7:00 pace)
More Yucca- 39.4 (5:16 pace) MINUS 1:44

PM- Took a serving of caffeine not intended as a cheat day but to test my theory.  Though I did not run in the evening, I felt significantly WORSE after drinking a Red Bull.  Once again, I was noticeably BETTER after Yucca. 

Reaction:
The slow times don't bother me that much.  LOW ENERGY DOES BOTHER ME!  Sulfur could very well be the culprit based on what happened with the Taurine.  Still a theory but here it is: Sarcosine has increased methylation action, which has in turn increased the sulfur burden, which explains the low energy and intolerance to caffeine.  Treatments for excess sulfur failed in the past because of the glycine conjugation issues.  That has been resolved by the Sarcosine.   That's why it appears Yucca is now tolerated whereas it caused the usual reaction in the past.



No comments: