Saturday, July 16, 2022

TMG Relapse

 I've had some relapses that I saw coming or at least should have known would happen.  For example, taking an adrenal glandular to combat the detox symptoms was necessary because it was unbearable otherwise.  I knew that taking it meant that my chemistry was moving in the wrong direction and the aftermath would not be pretty.  Also, caffeine may have helped the detox process because it is a diuretic.  Again, I knew full well that when I stopped, I would be down for a few days.  I'm okay with that.  

This one left me COMPLETELY BLINDSIDED!  TMG is Tri-Methyl Glycine and I have taken it for several years and had no problems.  In fact. it was actually necessary to take it because without it, I could not tolerate Methyl Folate.  I have the dreaded MTHFR 677 gene, so I had no chance without the MF.  

One evening, I felt noticeably worse after my evening cocktail of pills.  I took them all again and found that TMG was the culprit.  Fortunately, I've had no issues with MF without it.  I thought that perhaps it had lowered my homocysteine too much so I tried NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine).  I saw significant improvement for a few days then developed an intolerance to NAC.  Going back to the TMG only made things WORSE!  Increasing the TRS and the probiotics had no effect on the tolerance.  OUCH!  All I can do is stop this pill and hope that I will not develop an intolerance to another one.  If you think stopping running will help, think again.  I probably would have identified this problem sooner if I had been in decent running shape.  

I've now got just 3.5 months to train for Hawaii.  It is looking bleak.  I'll need to have one of my better days just to beat the time limit and it will be a miserable experience.  However, I am ONE state away and cannot quit now.  If I fail, I will try again.  The year is more than half over and I have NOT ONCE been healthy enough to do a long group run.  This is my worst year yet and next year may be worse.

After Hawaii, I plan to take 7 weeks of complete inactivity with the possible exception of skiing.  I will see a "real doctor" but doubt that he can help.  I will NOT take anti-depressants again.  I already know that SSRIs and SNRIs don't work for me.  I have looked into Wellbutrin, which is dopamine based.  I've heard that rage is a common side effect.  I have to deal with uncooperative clients at work.  That could be a disaster.

No comments: