Saturday, March 25, 2017

Epic Road Trip Plan

Now that I am recovered from my NYC trip, It's time to plan the next one.  I've already pulled the trigger on the first race and need to book the hotels soon before they sell out.

6/1-Fly into Helena, Montana- It's cheaper than Jackson Hole and so are the surrounding hotels.  I'll be finishing up my trip here anyway so that's less driving at the end.

6/2-Drive to Jackson Hole (4-5 hours).  Assuming I can get a fairly early start, I'll have time to tour the Tetons as well.

6/3-Grand Teton Half Marathon- I'm not racing it all out and the elevation precludes a good time anyway.  I just want to enjoy the scenery.  From there, I'll catch the parts of Teton Park that I missed yesterday then head into Yelowstone and stay there for the night.  There are 2 circular loops in the park and I figure I can catch at least the southern loop on this day.

6/4- Northern loop of Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway.  Depending on how I feel, I can go to Helena or Great Falls that evening.

6/5-Drive to Calgary, Alberta, Canada and do a walking tour.

6/6- Finish touring Calgary.  Leave for the Banff area though I'll probably stay in Canmoore, a few miles east because it's much cheaper.

6/7- Very scenic drive through the Canadian Rockies that will include a couple short hikes.  I'll head back halfway and plan to stay in Invermere, British Columbia.

6/8- Back to the USA and stop near Glacier National Park.  I'll probably have time to at least get a sample of the park.

6/9-Finish touring Glacier.  Easy drive back to Helena.

6/10- Governor's Cup Half Marathon in Helena. Lazy day after that.

6/11- Flight home.

Here is just a little bit of the scenery that I will see along the way.
Canadian Rockies

Teton

http://wikitravel.org/en/Grand_Teton_National_Park
http://wikitravel.org/en/Yellowstone_National_Park
http://wikitravel.org/en/Banff_National_Park

No comments: