Monday, March 13, 2017

Training 3/13-3/19 (race week)

3/13- Gold's 10 in 78:20 (7:50 pace).  This is what I meant to do over the weekend.  One of my most enjoyable runs in a long time.  After a slow start, I clocked 8 consecutive miles between 7:49-7:53 and passed 9 miles in 71:01.  Found another gear at the end and finished with a strong 7:19.  That tells me this pace is definitely sustainable over another 5K and would bring me home in 1:42:55 on race day.  That's a 20 second cushion on the #1 goal, which would be my fastest time since Tulsa in November 2014 before the methylation problems became too much to bear.  Got a shot at it now!
Shorter and sharper for the remainder of the week.  I won't gain much in terms of fitness but it's possible that the relapse is not fully behind me.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=10.0

Methyl Folate news:
Woke up EXTREMELY SORE without it.  1000 was clearly not enough and 1400 made a BIG difference BUT there was NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE between 1400-1800 nor from 1800-2200.  Odds are 5000 may give me trouble but I'd probably be okay on 3000 as long as I take PABA.  I'm okay with that.  I brought the relapse on myself with either caffeine or the MTHFRade.  Now, let's get this blizzard over with and clear out the roads because I'm ready to take on NYC.

3/14- Gold's 5 in 36:54 (7:23 pace).  Very strong.  No ill-effects from yesterday.  Bore a resemblance to the Crazy J of old.  When healthy and well trained, these type of workouts are really not that hard for me.  Still, I was surprised by how well I did today after a double digit run @ sub-8 pace.  I did have to work a bit to keep the pace below 7:30 but this was far from a hard effort.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=5.5
Hey NYC, get out your snow plows because I'm coming for you.

3/15-Planned rest day.  I expect the delayed onset soreness might hit me but I bet I could handle a workout if need be.


3/16- 2 miles in 13:58 (6:59 pace). I was hoping for a little better but it is not a cause for alarm. I think glutathione is causing me to feel just a tad sluggish so I'm cutting it. The fact that I am not horrible with a questionable pill is encouraging.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance-2.5

3/17- No running but this was NOT an easy day.  Whirlwind tour of NYC while the weather was good.  Stops included Grand Central, Times Square, Wall Street, World Trade Center and the Rockefeller Center.  Maybe I'll do a junk run tomorrow but I had best stay off my feet as much as possible.

3/18- Stop and go junk run through Midtown.  Found a good pace early then backed it down.  Did not record the distance but I'll call it 2 miles.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=2.0

3/19- NYC half in 1:46:19 unofficially.  A little slower than what I hoped for but well within the range of variability.  The course was measured a quarter mile long and it's hard to run tangents in a crows so it's a good bet I covered 13.1 in less than 1:45.
Grade:B-/4 credit/distance=14.0

Weekly summary:
First win of the year.
Distance=34.0/ GPA= 28.2/9=3.13
YTD: 319 miles.  1-9/ 1.92

No comments: