Saturday, December 4, 2021

2022 Travel Plans

 No international travel in 2021 but I do expect to hit either 25 or 26 states this year alone.  I believe that is a new personal record and I'll summarize it in the near future.  Looking ahead to next year, what's on the horizon?

January or February- El Paso, Texas with side trips to White Sands NP in New Mexico and Ciudad Juarez.  Maybe I'll find a girl who likes the gringo with the southern lingo.  MLK weekend is the best time to go.  If for some reason, I can't get off work, it will be okay to go for President's Day.  

February- Probably nothing for President's Day.  Cartagena, Columbia could be a nice weekend getaway and there are no COVID restrictions, but I should probably save up for the big one in April

April- Maui, Hawaii.  The 50 state half marathon challenge ends here.  Training has gone HORRIBLY in recent weeks, but I don't care if I have to walk all of it.  I'm going to finish the challenge.  Of course, there is plenty of other stuff to do on this island including the Road to Hana, mountains and of course, surfing.

June- I'd like to go to Galveston for Juneteenth. I'd likely fly to Houston and see San Antonio and Port Aransas as well.  

Late summer- North Carolina coast.  Actually, the plan is to drive to Virginia Beach, which I have not seen since I was a small child.  From there, I'll hop down to the Outer Banks and Wrightsville Beach.  I used to live in South Carolina but really haven't explored much of the NC coast.  The surf is usually better.

After that, who knows? 

Also on the radar are So-Cal and the Oregon coast but COVID restrictions are INSANE on the West coast so given the choice, I prefer to spend my money in North Carolina.  

If for some reason, I can't go to Hawaii due to either injury or COVID related issues, the backup plan is South Florida.  I'll fly to Tampa, check out Bradenton then cut east to Fort Lauderdale.  Late April is the perfect time to go.  No threat of a cold snap.  Spring Break is over and it's still the dry season.

As for International options, Mexico is likely the best bet.  Costa Rica recently imposed a vackseen requirement so scratch that.  I'd consider Nicaragua, Columbia and possibly Chile, Brazil and Argentina.  South America is mostly open and probably my best bet.  Europe is insane.  Australia is worse.  Africa is possible but will be tough logistically.  I'm not going to fly to Kenya or Tanzania just to spend a few days.   

No comments: