Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Mobile and New Orleans Road Trip Report

 5/6-

Left work at noon and hit the road going south on I-65 down to Mobile.  Traffic was a nightmare, and I didn’t arrive until after 5PM (normal drive time is just under 3.5 hours).  I checked into my hotel and took a short nap then a walking tour of Dauphin and Government Street with stops at a Fountain and Bienville Square.  Dinner was a good but pricey pork chop with a mixed drink at a restaurant called Dumbwaiters.  Still tired, I was in bed early but began feeling better as the night progressed and I was up with the sun the next morning.  I caught a sunrise over the bay at Cooper Park and a good shot of the skyline before checking out.








5/7-

I was westbound on I-10 into Mississippi with a stop in Gulfport to catch the Ship Island Ferry.  In Mississippi, the coast is blocked by barrier islands further out to sea.  Though the sand is nice and white, the water is brown and nasty with no surf.  Fortunately, a 1-hour cruise will grant you access to a nice beach with clear water.  You will usually find small waves here, but don’t count on good surf.  I did catch a few short rides to the sand, which shored up Mississippi and I can now definitely count it as a state in which I caught a wave.  My verdict on Ship Island: Worth doing once or twice for something different but IMO, it is not on par with the West Florida or East Alabama beaches. 





 




I was back in Gulfport before 4:00 then took the scenic route along the MS Sound towards Louisiana before eventually picking up I-10 to New Orleans for a 6 PM arrival.  I was out the door immediately after check-in and got a good Shrimp Po-Boy for dinner.  I spent the rest of the evening on Bourbon Street with a stop at Jackson Square. 








5/8-

Walk down Canal Street for a sunrise junk run on the Riverwalk.  Drove to City Park, which I found to be quite nice then headed home.  I did take a detour to Jackson, Mississippi for a stop at the History Museum, and got some pretty good pizza afterwards.  Downtown was dead and it was pretty scary if you drove a few blocks out in the wrong direction.  The north side of town is much nicer, and I may pay another visit there soon. 

Final thought:

I've always liked Mobile but was not a fan of New Orleans before this trip.  I was nearly mugged the first time I visited and had a bad race the second time.  However, I’m glad I gave the city another chance as I came away with a more favorable impression this time around.  It’s still not among my favorite cities to visit but for a weekend getaway every few years?  Sure, it can be fun.  








No comments: