Sunday, May 1, 2022

Training 4/30-5/8

 I've signed up for Hawaii on 11/13 so I've essentially got 6 months to get in shape.  I really don't care how I do but I don't want to completely embarrass myself either.  Once again, in THEORY, I have a path to balance but it has never actually worked in practice.  I have 2 must take treatments which are Fulvic Acid and TRS.  As for the rest of my cocktail, I can get away with occasional missed doses.  I hope that eventually, the 2 must takes will be in that category as well.

4/30- Opened with a 1:51 for 1/6 of a mile at Montreat.  With Fulvic Acid, I was significantly better at 1:44 then leaped to a 1:24 on TRS.  Still, if I can't run an 8:00 pace on a sprint, I expected to be beyond horrible in a real workout.  I was correct.

2 miles on Lakeshore in 23:34 (11:47 pace).  To put that into perspective, my personal record for 2 miles is 11:30 (5:45 pace).  I am LESS THAN HALF of my top speed.  A sub-3 half mary is 13.1 @13:45 pace.  No, I don't think I could have done that today.

Distance=2.5

5/1- No opener but tacked on another half mile to my real workout.  I performed about as expected.  2.5 miles in 27:10 (10:52 pace).  MINUS 55.  This is what I want to see.  I was noticeably better than yesterday but it was not a night and day difference. I think that with a walk/jog plan, I would have had a shot at finishing a half.  I will shoot for 3 miles tomorrow in a time between 30-31 minutes.

Distance=2.5  

5/2- 3 miles (1 on South Lakeshore extension and 2 on the trail itself).  Finished in 29:36 (9:52 pace).  Actually slowed down in the last mile on purpose so I'd be closer to 30 than a sub-29.  No cause for celebration but as of now, I'm headed in the right direction.

PM- 1 mile time trial at Vestavia track.  Finished in 7:38*.  I hit the half in 3:59 then stopped to take 5 sprays of TRS and found another gear.  Turned in a 3:39 on the back half and a 1:46 on the bell lap.  Without the extra TRS, I'm not sure I break 8.  If I took the sprays before the run, I'm almost certainly under 7:30.   I'll see greater gains on more sprays but I'm pleased with my progress.

Distance=4.0

5/3-AM 1 mile on Montreat this time on NO treatments.  Finished in 9:40, and that's about as expected.  A LOT better than just 3 days ago but I'm still a good 2 minutes slow on no treatments.  One positive out of this is another strong negative split.  I was 4:58 at the half and simply hoped for a sub-10 but did the back half in 4:42 and did not stop at the midpoint.  I probably went out too conservative and mis-underestimated my endurance.  That's it for today.  Don't need to get myself hurt by too much too soon.

Distance=1.0

Goal: In order to meet my definition of "no extreme dependence",  I must make it through a weekend on no pills then come back and survive an easy 3 on Monday.  Long way to go.

5/4- North Lakeshore 3 mile in 25:55 (8:38 pace).  Again, I slowed down deliberately in Mile 3 and was headed for a mid-25 if I kept it up.  Obviously, this rate of improvement is unsustainable and I will level off soon.  I bet I can get into the 24s pretty easily but it will become much harder after that.  BARRING A RELAPSE!!

Distance=3.0

5/5- AM- Vestavia Mile in 7:22.  An improvement of 16 seconds.  83 to go.  I can't be too disappointed but I did hope for a little better.  I am starting to level off, which was expected.  I did NOT stop at the halfway point to take more detox sprays.  I bet I'm under 7:15 if I had done so.  Splits were 1:50-1:53-1:53-1:46.  Back half  was no better than last time.  On the bright side, this was done on fewer sprays so if everything was equal, I'd see more improvement.  I hope to be under 7 by the end of next week.  Added a half mile cool.

PM- Easy 2.5 on Lakeshore.  Finished in 22:25 (8:58 pace).  Interesting.  Took off at sub-8 pace for the first quarter mile and it did feel "almost sustainable"  but backed off to an "easy effort," which was a low-9 pace.  Stopped at 1.5 to take caffeine and the pace quickened by about 15 ticks with the same effort.  I still think I should stay off that stuff.  Small short-term gains are not worth the long-term harm.  Perhaps the TRS doesn't fully kick in until the afternoon.  I'll soon test that out.

Distance=4.0

5/6- Another 1 mile at Montreat WITHOUT treatment.  Time was down to 8:53 with a strong finish (2:49 last third).  Still hoped for a little better.  I'm still 90 seconds slower without TRS and that's a LOT.  Going to the coast this weekend. 

Distance=1.0

5/7- Planned rest day.

5/8- 2 mile junk run at the River in NOLA.

Distance=2.0


-20 miles on the week


No comments: