Monday, September 26, 2022

Oahu Hawaii Trip Plan

 For better or worse, this trip is a GO!  I'm afraid that I have a degenerative condition and I won't get another chance at this in the future.  I've got everything booked except for 1 hotel on my layover.  More on that later.

11/10- Morning flight out of Birmingham with a connection in Denver.  Only 2 flights and no trip to Atlanta.  That makes it much easier.  I will land around 4:30 PM so that means I probably will not have time to catch any waves.  Maybe I'll take a quick dip but that's it.  The sun will go down around 6.  I requested a Toyota Camry rental car so hopefully that means no key fob.  I'll have a traditional door key to start the ignition so I don't have to worry about it getting wet.  I will still try to find a waterproof case that fits in my pocket and covers all shapes of key fobs.  Word on the street is that Hawaii has a pretty bad homeless problem so I ain't leaving my stuff on the beach.    

11/11-11/14- I am staying 4 nights on the beach at Waikiki.  Can't go wrong there.  It sure does look beautiful.  Yes, I will sample other places as well.  Here is a list of places that I'd like to see:

Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Sherwood Beach, Nanakuli, Malil Pillbox, Sunset Beach on the North Shore.  The first two days, I will try to take it easy in the surf.  Last thing I need is a knee or ankle injury from an awkward landing on a wipeout.  A hike up Diamond Head before race day?  I see no problem with that.  I don't think it will tire me out or make much difference either way.  I do NOT want to do it after the race.   

11/13- This is the day that I am DREADING!  It's race day.  No need to rehash how I feel about it.  The only goal is to FINISH and I hope to stay as comfortable as possible while remaining well ahead of the time limit.  It's a low-key and no frills event and that's just what I am looking for as I'm going out with a whimper instead of a bang.  The Start/Finish Line is at Kapiolani Park, which appears to be within walking distance of my hotel.  If not, it will only be a 2-3 minute drive.  

When I'm done, I expect to have mixed emotions.  Finishing a half in all 50 states is incredible accomplishment but knowing that it's likely over will be bittersweet.  Sure, I knew it would happen eventually but expected to have another 15-20 years.  

11/14- I will make a loop around the island while beach hopping and spend the night less than a mile from the airport.

11/15- Early morning flight with a connection in San Francisco.  I'll get there by 2:00 PM and I am taking an overnight layover.  Last time, I tried to go without one and was DEAD by the time I got to Atlanta.  Even for a short distance, it was not safe for me to be on the road.  Birmingham will have an hour less jet lag and it's only 20 minutes from the airport to home but I still don't feel safe.

Though I am not a fan of San Francisco, it does have some very beautiful areas.  I can take BART to my hotel in the Financial District then walk to see the Golden Gate bridge before sunset.  I'd also like to see Rincon and Dolores Park.  I do expect to be tired but not dead from the jet lag.

11/16- Leave SF at 2:00 so that gives me exactly 24 hours.  I connect in Dallas and get back late but  that's okay.  I should be at least somewhat functional the next day.  

I really should be more excited about this one and probably would be if not for the race.

 

No comments: