Monday, October 31, 2022

Training 10/31-11/13 Taper

 10/31- 3 miles in 25:48 (8:36 pace).  Not bad but hoped for a little better.  Strangely, I was actually trying to hold back early and still clocked an 8:23 opening Mile.  Once again, I faded in the back half (12:40-13:08).  Legs were fine but cardio was weak.  I need more distance and that will be the top priority when I come back after Christmas.  I may benefit from blood donation but it's too late now.  I can't predict how I will respond to it.  

Distance=3.0

11/1- Thanks to the Cytokines, I am confident that I will not fail in Hawaii because of a sudden intolerance to a pill in my cocktail.  The biggest danger is quitting a pill that I THINK I no longer need but in reality I still do.  I need to test this out now.  In 2 weeks, I will be on extended break and not as well in tune with my body.  

AM- On nothing, I opened with a 74.  With Cytokines, I improved to a 69.  Still a significant difference but not night and day.  That's without adrenal support.  I was noticeably better with it but I don't think that an increased dose made much difference.  

PM- Only 1.5 on Lakeshore.  I passed the halfway point in 7:07 (9:30 pace) then took the TRS spray.  I improved to a 6:21 on the back half (8:28 pace).  Much better but I still did not set the world on fire and I believe that over a 3 miler, I would have been much worse than yesterday.  I suspect that I still need the Fulvic Acid as well.  Not real pleased but at least I can make it through a long weekend without it.

Distance=2.0

11/2- Forget what I said about not being worried about a bad reaction to a pill.  DISASTROUS response to both Quercetin and IP-6.  Fortunately, there is an explanation.  Both strengthen the immune system, which is the opposite of what I need.  I may need to INCREASE the Cytokine suppressants and/or find something stronger.  That won't be done until after Hawaii. I still don't think I have to worry about a reaction to anything in my cocktail.  That something stronger may be none other than Eye-Vermectin.

I opened with a pitiful 1:48 then I was WORSE after taking TRS.  I probably would have improved on Fulvic Acid but as it is, I went with Cytokines.  Just one pill brought me down to 90 seconds then 2 more got me to 62.  Fulvic Acid got it down to 59.  Unfortunately, IP-6 made things worse than ever.  The result was similar on Quercetin when I got home.  Fortunately, extra Cytokine pills did mitigate some of the ill-effects.  Taking the Quercetin may be why I was so bad on EITHER Probiotics or Taurine alone but much better together.

I think this will be a 1-2 day blip.

Distance=1.0 

11/3- 2 miles in 21:38 (10:49 pace).  TERRIBLE performance.  Last mile was over 11:30 and if the race had been today instead of 10 days out, I don't think I make it.  Concern, panic or doom?  It's concern.  I didn't see this coming and I do worry that something similar could happen 8-9 days from now.  However, it happened because I tried something new 2 weeks out.  Of course, I'd NEVER do this within 5 or even 7 days of race day.  As long as I take everything in my cocktail and nothing new for the few days before race day, I SHOULD be okay.  

I took TRS after I got home and felt worse but got better after Fulvic Acid.  I need to clear out the IP-6 and Quercetin and keep up or increase the Cytokine suppressants and I bet that I'll be a lot better tomorrow.  After Hawaii, I will add another Immune modulator and may order Eye-Vermectin as well.

Distance=2.0 

11/4- Opened with a very poor 1:43 (10:18 pace) on nothing but adrenal support.  3 Cytokine pills got me down to 65 (6:30 pace).  MINUS 3:48!!  2 additional got it down to 57 (5:42 pace).  MINUS 48  That's a night and day difference on 3 pills, which did NOT happen just 3 days earlier.  I saw further gains by increasing the dose.  Not night and day but still enough to be considered significant.  

If a HS 400 runner who normally runs a 57-58 can suddenly no longer break 65, people will ask what is wrong!  The gap should decrease when the bad stuff fully clears my system.  A question that will be answered early next week: Will I continue to see gains with increased dosing or will I level off after a certain dose?

PM- 1.5 miles in 13:54 (9:16 pace).  Better than yesterday but still very poor.  I think I could have made it if the race had been today but it would have been very slow and painful.  Again, faded badly on the back half.  Last half mile was 4:56.  Ouch!

Distance=2.0

11/5- Junk run in the parking lot at P'Cola.  I thought that perhaps the caffeine is hurting me.  No evidence of that today.  I was actually slightly better with than without.

Distance=0.5

11/6- Determined to finish 5 miles non-stop no matter what the pace.  I might as well have walk-jogged it but with the exception of a water break at the halfway point, yes, I made it.  Time was 52:46 (10:33 pace) with bad splits (25:31-27:15) but I finished.  Now 7 days out from race day.  I'm not sure that the IP-6 and Quercetin have fully cleared but barring another relapse, I WILL finish.  It will be a very slow and painful affair but I will make it.  All downhill from here.  I will do very little in between now and race day.  Need to take it easy in the surf the day before race day as well but I think I can handle a hike.

Distance=5.0

11/7- Planned rest day.  I know exactly what will happen tomorrow.  I'll be pretty awful on no treatment, only somewhat better on everything but the Cytokines.  I will see further gains on additional Cytokine pills.

11/8- EXACTLY as expected.

No pills- 93 (9:18 pace)

Full cocktail minus Cytokines- 83 (8:18 pace)

3 Cytokine pills-58 (5:48 pace)

5 Cytokine pills-51 (5:06 pace)

1 lap cool to make it an even Mile.  

Distance=1.0

Reaction:

Pretty bad without pills.  On the full cocktail, I was significantly better but it didn't become a night and day difference until I took the Cytokines.  Yes, I saw additional gains on extra pills.  I'm going with this cocktail in Hawaii.  I'll take 3 every day but jack it up to 5 only on race day.  If I had opened with Taurine or Probiotics alone, it would have been around 1:45.  If I added IP-6, I'm over 2:00.  That gap MUST close.  I do believe that it will with continued Cytokines while avoiding the bad stuff.  Standard issue run tomorrow then just 1 or 2 shakeouts in Hawaii.

11/9- AM- 2 miles in 16:24 (8:12 pace).  I feel like the IP-6 has finally cleared my system.  Felt about the same as last time at this distance.  Good leg power but weak cardio.  Managed a negative split but was unable to hold the pace that I set early in Mile 2.  This was done on 3 Cytokine suppressants.  If I had taken 5, I'm likely well under 16.  

PM- Noticeably weaker by the afternoon.  The same thing happened yesterday so it was an impromptu test.  1/2 lap warm.  Managed only a 77.  Didn't expect to duplicate the 58 but expected better than that.  Popped just 1 Cytokine pill and I was back down to a 70.  Clearly, I have a SEVERE need for these pills because just 10 hours later, this happened.  Fortunately, this won't affect me on race day.  The start is at 5:30 AM and I'll be done before I start to lose strength from lack of pills.

Distance=2.5

Final Thought: I've done all that I can.  I'm racing under Caution (yellow flag) but it could be worse.  I've made it through the training unscathed.  Just 1 or 2 shakeout jogs in Hawaii then I race in 4 days.  I may or may not be able to update this before I get home.

11/10- Planned rest day.  Flight to Honolulu

11/11- Elective rest day.

11/12- 1 mile shakeout run in 8:15 with a mild pickup at the end plus a few strides.

Distance=1.5

11/13- I finished.  Barely.

Distance=13.5

-34 miles total

No comments: