Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Training 12/21-12/31

 12/21- Got just about what I expected today.  2x400 at Vestavia.  Opened without anything then took 2 chews with no adrenal support.  Tomorrow, I will repeat this workout except I will open with the chews then take the adrenal support.  First lap was 2:43.7 then improved to 2:29.4 (PR).  The adrenal spike has died down since I last checked in but the demand for the chews has increased.  That pattern will reverse itself before too long.  Eventually, I will stabilize but probably with low energy.

Distance=0.5

12/22- Vestavia 400 in 2:10.3 (PR).  Took 2 Thym-Adren pills and repeated the distance.  Improved to a 2:05.2 (PR).  Added a half mile cool.  A 5 second improvement over 1 lap.  Is that enough to be considered significant?  As a percentage, it's about 4%, which is in the gray area.  It won't affect my plan.  I'll take it every day, but this does NOT qualify as an extreme need.  If I forget to pack it over Christmas, I'll be okay.  I may be able to squeeze in 1 or 2 runs on the mill over the next few days of extreme cold.  A sub-2:00 is within reach but next time, I will shoot for a non-stop Mile.

The need for chews appears to be diminishing but the adrenals could spike again when that happens.  That's okay.  It will eventually die down as well.

Distance=1.0 

12/23- Evening run on the 'mill.  Set the speed at 6.2 (9:40 pace) and let it run for a mile.  Not bad.  Difficult to assess because I've never been able to match my treadmill times outdoors.  Just glad to get my legs moving.

Distance=1.0

12/24- AM run on the 'mill this time without any chews.  Started out slowly then gradually bumped up the pace.  I was doing 6.5 at the end.  Again, not a workout to remember but at least I got it done.

Distance=1.0

12/25- Planned rest day.

12/26- Trip home.  Stopped at the track on the way.  Finished 1 mile non-stop as planned with a time of 10:26.0  My time is pretty much meaningless at this stage but I did hope to do a little better than this.  On the plus side, I wasn't pushing at all and the only real goal was to finish.  I bet I could have gone another 4 laps at least.  I should get a pretty easy PR next time I run this distance.  I do think I can finish a 5K by the 31st. 

Distance=1.0

12/27- Vestavia 400 in 1:40.5 (MASSIVE PR).  I did expect to break 2:00 but did not expect a sub-1:50.  I never thought I would threaten 1:45 let alone 1:40.  I passed 200 in 48 then hung on for a 52 and I was working pretty hard on the back half.   Next time, I will hit double digits.  This tells me that my time for the Mile is VERY soft.  I aim to beat that time tomorrow.  Added a 1 lap cool.  

PM- Easy 1.5 on Lakeshore in 15:09 (10:06 pace).  This does not count as a PR even though I surely covered 1 Mile faster than 10:26 at both the beginning and the end.  I don't know the exact distance and my GPS signal was funky.  Overall, it was an improvement over yesterday, but I can't let a decent sprint time give me a false sense of fitness.  I've got a LONG way to go.    

Distance=2.0

12/28- Vestavia Mile in 8:50.3 (PR).  Splits were 2:13-2:17-2:18-2:02.  Surprised that I had something left at the end and there is clearly room for improvement.  I expected to be around 9-flat and did a little better.  That's it for today.

Distance- 1.0

12/29- Adrenals have spiked.  This is not a big surprise.  My need for Chews has diminished considerably but I need mega Thym-Adren.  

Workout was 3x1 lap at Montreat.  Opened with a pitiful 4:15 (12:45 pace) then fared no better on the chews.  Popped Thym-Adren and improved to a 3:42 (11:06 pace).  Last week, this pill only made a difference of 20 seconds per mile.  Today, the gap was 99 seconds.  Within about 7 days, this too will fade.  In theory, I am in the clear after this but it never happens in reality.  I will still try to do a 5K on Saturday even though it will be pathetic.

Distance-1.0

12/30- Planned rest day

12/31- Pathetic as expected but I got through it.  5,000 meters non-stop.  12.5 laps around Vestavia track, so the distance is certified.  Finished in a time of 36:55 (11:52 pace).  The adrenal spike is on its 3rd day, and it will be 3 more days until it dies down.  Am I in the clear after that?  Probably not.  Good news is that I am on the board for the 5K distance, and I should get a pretty easy PR next time out. 

-12 miles total.  I'll be in Costa Rica most of next week, but I'll manage a couple of junk runs. 


No comments: