Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Candida Flu

 Since the last update, I tried Zinc and the results were not surprising.  An initial negative response followed by an insatiable need with a couple of adrenal spikes that eventually stabilized.  Still, I faced the harsh reality that the Candida is simply not going away unless I COMPLETELY ELIMINATE SUGAR, ALCOHOL AND CAFFEINE.  All of the supplements that were so necessary (Probiotics, ACV, Curcumin) in the past don't seem to help much nowadays. 

 Not surprisingly, I was BAD over Thanksgiving but got back on track the next week.  I found that in the past, dealing with all the drama with the insatiable needs for pills and the moving targets PLUS the sugar withdrawals was just too hard.  With relatively stable chemistry, I gave it another shot and vowed to go at least 21 days no matter what happened.   As of today, I've completed 7 days clean with NO cheat days.  Today was the first day that I had any real temptation but so far so good.   

In the past, I've usually gotten caffeine withdrawal that peaks within 24-48 hours of stopping.  I get the energy crash, headache and sleepiness.  That's usually followed by an adrenal spike and I may get a little better after 4-5 days but I've always fallen off the wagon because of the drama with the pills.  There were some days that I kinda had to use or I could not even function at work.   In the past, quitting sugar actually made the sensitivity WORSE.  On one attempt, I developed a complete intolerance to the very same Probiotics that I needed just a few days earlier and also developed new food sensitivities.  I've since read that this was likely Cytokine related.  

This time around, I had symptoms that I've never experienced before.  The withdrawal came sooner than I expected.  I put down my last forbidden beverage (Margarita) around 10PM last Wednesday but I was already beginning to feel it by the end of the workday on Thursday.  I figured that I'd have to endure a couple of rough days on Friday and Saturday, then I'd start feeling better by Sunday.  

It got so bad that I actually had to leave work early on Friday.  I crashed in bed at 2:30 PM and stayed there until the next morning.  By Saturday, I had a massive sinus headache and was sneezing uncontrollably at times.  On top of that, I had several diarrhea attacks.  Sunday evening was the worst.  My temperature shot up to 101.4 degrees with TERRIBLE abdominal pains.  I kept hoping to get that shit out my system, but I couldn't defecate or fall asleep.  Finally, I took some Tylenol that temporarily reduced my fever, and I did wake up several times to urinate, which did seem to make it a little better.  

Needless to say, no work on Monday.  Fever was down to 99.8 degrees and I was able to sleep normally.  Still, awfully weak and with no appetite, I managed to get through half a day of work on Tuesday to avoid having to get a doctor's note.  I am slightly better today (Wednesday).

Wasn't this just a standard case of the flu virus?  Was it really Candida related?     

I am nearly CERTAIN that it is TOTALLY Candida related and it was not influenza at all.  Based on my research, everything that happened in my body is what is SUPPOSED to happen when Candida is going away.  It will go out kicking and screaming!  The severe abdominal pain is actually a sign that the liver is working overtime to flush out those toxins!  I have one big question:  Why didn't any of this happen when I tried to quit sugar before?  I've lasted this long several times before.   I had yet to try any anti-candida supplements besides the Probiotics and this was before I addressed the Cytokines.  I don't think recovery was even possible until I did that.  Maybe all the drama with the pills was necessary as well.

Prognosis:

Too soon to get my hopes up but I see a glimmer of light.  Odds are that it's not going to be a switch where one day I wake up feeling well.  It will be a gradual process.    I will have to strictly limit forbidden drinks after the 21 days are up.  NO energy drinks EVER AGAIN.  I might have an odd Coke or alcoholic beverage but those must be RARE.  I'll have to be careful over Christmas and I'll have to be careful in Punta Cana as well.  

Any running:

All I've done is 1 lap at Montreat the last 3 days.

Mon AM- 4:28

Mon PM- 4:10

Tue- 4:00

Wed- 3:47.  

Wednesday's pace was 11:21 so that no cause for celebration but it's a lot better than the 13:24 pace that I managed just 2 days earlier.  

UPDATE - Today (Thursday) I managed a 3:30 (10:30 pace).  Clearly improving.  Keep it up.

No comments: