Sunday, December 3, 2023

Punta Cana Trip Plan

 This is the sixth time that I have gone to a tropical climate during the dead of winter.  Someday, I'll make it to Colorado for a ski trip.   Here's my history:

2019- Miami and the Florida Keys

2020- San Juan, Puerto Rico (pre-Covid)

Christmas 20- Cancun, Mexico

2021- Big Island, Hawaii

2023- Jaco. Costa Rica

MLK weekend is my best bet. I scored a smokin' deal on a round trip flight out of Atlanta for under $300.  It lands on Saturday the 13th and returns on Wednesday the 17th.  I actually tried to extend it another day but none of the flights would have allowed me to drive back to Birmingham the same day and I don't want to be out all week.  Plus, the fares would have been much higher.  

Including the US, the Dominican Republic will be my 9th country visited.  I had some fun pranking co-workers by talking about checking out the beaches on the west side of the island.  I said that it might be a little bit dangerous.  They wondered why until I told them that those beautiful beaches are in Haiti.  LOL.  

I prefer NOT to stay at an all-inclusive resort but in Punta Cana, you really don't have much of a choice.  Over 90 percent of the hotels are all-inclusive and the ones that are not are located a fair distance from the beach itself.  It may not even be possible to walk to the public beaches and I really don't feel comfortable renting a car.  To me, that means a much less authentic experience.  The same resort also has a property in Jamaica, so I could go there instead and probably have a very similar experience.  You can't truly say that you "loved the country" if you didn't experience it outside of the resort.  

I don't really care about high class accommodations or fine dining.  I'm there for the beach and specifically the surf.  I ended up choosing the cheapest all-inclusive resort that I could find, Riu Republica in Arena Gorda.  I would have preferred Macao Beach but the prices were outrageous.  Dreams Macao was over $700/night while Riu Republica was under $300.  Therefore, I save over $1,200 over a 4 night stay.  

I think it will actually work out for the best.  Bavaro Beach has brilliant white sand and crystal clear electric blue water but usually minimal surf.  Macao has consistently good surf, but the water is not as clear and the sand is more golden than white.  I figure that since Arena Gorda is located in between, it should offer the best of both worlds.  Beautiful beach with rideable waves.  Food will be mediocre but as long as it's edible, I'm good.  My only real concern is that it attracts a young crowd that likes to party.  I won't get stupid drunk but sure, I'm up for some fun in the evening.  

1/13- My fight lands at 2:00 and I figure that by the time I get through Customs and take a taxi to the resort, it will be almost sunset when I check in so I don't expect to squeeze in a quick dip.  This will leave me with only 3 full days on the beach plus a morning session on 1/17.  I may change my mind, but I am currently leaning AGAINST an excursion to Santo Domingo.  It's a 4 hour bus ride each way, which leaves me with only 4 hours to tour.  Plus, I'm not sure that I'd be interested in all of the activities on the organized tour.  I certainly will NOT strike off on my own in a strange city. 

Instead of that, I will likely spend an afternoon in the shopping district of downtown Punta Cana, and hope to mingle a bit with the Dominicans.  Word on the street is that it is safe enough, especially in the daytime.  As for the weather, I can expect temps in the mid-80s and sunny skies with a water temperature around 80-82.  Can't beat that in January.  Unfortunately, rainfall is a possibility.  Though it's unlikely to be a total washout, I can expect about a 30 percent chance of rain on any given day.  I really don't want to take an excursion on a beautiful day then have 2 rainy days on the beach.     


No comments: