Sunday, December 10, 2023

False Hope

 WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED??

I get a little better for a few days then just as hopes begin to rise, I'm hit with something like this.  

The drama with the pills is NOT OVER!

I hoped to run 3 miles easy on Lakeshore this morning.  I didn't really care about the pace.  I just wanted to feel comfortable and finish strong.  A storm came through last night, which apparently was worse in Homewood.  I had to stop several times to go around downed tree branches but that shouldn't affect me.  

 I could tell something was a little bit off from the get go.  After a slow start, I seemed to find a decent rhythm after the first quarter mile and my pace was around 9:15-9:20.  I told myself to just maintain that pace and I'll take it.   Just before the 3/4 mile mark, I suddenly began feeling MUCH worse and also was holding in a diarrhea dump.  I had no choice but to stop and complete the walk of shame back to the start.  I did do a couple of spurts of running to get the total distance up to 1 mile but my pace slowed considerably and my moving time was 9:39.  Slightly WORSE than 2 days ago.  

You can expect some variation in performances on a daily basis.  If this one had been 8:39 instead?  No big deal.  An 8:20 vs 8:39 is within the margin of error and not enough to be considered significant especially with the tree branches.  A 9:39 with nothing left at the end?  NO!  That clearly indicates that something is wrong.  The next step was to go home and find the culprit.  I figured that it was either the Zinc or the Thym-Adren but hoped that it was the latter.  A bad reaction to an adrenal supplement is understandable.  A bad reaction to a mineral?  That's likely an autoimmune issue.  Just one pill confirmed that indeed it was the Thym-Adren.

I was very pleased yesterday when I saw a BIG improvement seemingly in spite of not taking any pills.  I know now that I did better BECAUSE I did not take the pills.   Obviously, the candida detox has had an effect of my adrenals.  I'm likely still a fast oxidizer and thus, I will need the Thym-Adren over the long haul at least at low doses.  That said, I cannot be like this.  If I remain on this path, I will likely continue to get worse.  I have 3 options for the near future.  

1-Lower the dose to just one pill and take it the night before.  

That's probably the least likely to be effective as I'm growing more and more intolerant.

2. Quit the pills temporarily.

Could be an option but it may not be strong enough.

3. Temporarily take an adrenal stimulant.

I had to do that when detoxing heavy metals in the past and it worked well for a while.  Eventually, I became over-stimulated and was forced back on the Thym-Adren.  That's likely the outcome this time as well.  

In the past, I've had a VERY HIGH tendency to cheat when something like this happens.  I MUST stay strong this time.  Committed to 21 days no matter what.

As far as the running is concerned, I don't have to be ultra-competitive to be happy.  I DO expect to be well enough and BE CONSISTENT ENOUGH to enjoy the social aspect.  Should not be too much to ask, but right now, that's impossible.  

UPDATE:

I tried the adrenal stimulants and got MUCH better for a short time.  A fourth option has come up, which is NAC.  It too produced a strong positive, albeit short-lived reaction.  I'm going with a combination of #3 and #4.

No comments: