Thursday, March 14, 2024

Nor-Cal Road Trip Plan

 The 2024 road trip picture is starting to come into focus.  I strongly considered Arizona in April, but it doesn’t fit my schedule.  The Diamondbacks are on the road almost every weekend and work will be busy at the end of this month.  Wait until next year on that one.  April is definitely the best month to go to Arizona.  The only definite is Turks and Caicos in mid-June.  My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year and I will certainly not say no to that even though it wasn’t on my bucket list. 

Leaning towards Toronto/Newfoundland, which will be done either Memorial Day or Independence Day.  It’s a little close to the T&C trip either way but it’s probably the best fit.  I cannot do this and Alaska in the same year but really want at least one of those.  I’m just one state away from 50 times 2 and one province away from all 10 in Canada.  I’ll likely use the other free weekend to go to the North Carolina coast.  I wanted to go there last Fall but the weather turned cold, and I opted for Florida. 

I have several options for Labor Day weekend, but I am leaning towards Nor-Cal.  Here’s the plan:

Day 1- The best airport is probably Reno, Nevada with a connection in either Dallas or Denver.  I’ll arrive in mid-afternoon.  I should have some time to explore Lake Tahoe on the California side and I’ll spend the night in South Tahoe. 

Day 2- I will spend a couple more hours at Lake Tahoe then head west to Oakland (3 hours).  Sacramento could be a good lunch stop.  Hopefully, I arrive after check-in so I can put my bag in the hotel room.  I worry about car break-ins, but I should be okay if I stay in a decent area.  I will NOT take my car to San Francisco.  My hotel must be within walking distance of a BART station.  I’ll spend a few hours in SF then go back to Oakland for the night.  Hopefully, the Giants play in the evening.  

Day 3-Full day in San Francisco.  On my list are a Giants game, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Union Square plus the Golden Gate bridge up close and possibly Sausalito.  A sunset cruise could be really nice.  At any rate, I’ll be back to my hotel in Oakland for another night.

Day 4- Leave Oakland and head back east to Yosemite NP.  I will either spend the night there or in Mammoth Lake. 

Day 5- Finish touring Yosemite then head back to Tahoe via Tioga Pass.  This road is only open from May-October because the elevation and snowfall.  Drive up the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe then back to Reno for the night. 

Day 6- Fly home.  Reno is in the Pacific time zone so that means I lose 2 hours going home.  I’ll shoot for an early departure so I get back to B’ham at a decent hour.     

No comments: