Thursday, April 25, 2024

NYC Trip Report

 I had to get away and go somewhere this weekend.  I would have preferred Arizona but the D'Backs were on the road and I had already been to Colorado this year.  How about a different part of the country?  I considered Chicago but felt that would work best as a summer destination and my last visit there was the same time of year back in 2019.  All things considered, I opted for New York and it was probably the best choice. This was my second full NYC trip though I did make a couple of one day stops from New Jersey and Connecticut so I know my way around pretty well.

Airport and Lodging:

LaGuardia, JFK or Newark?  Since I was flying out of Birmingham, LaGuardia is clearly the best choice.  It's the only one that offers a direct flight and it's surprisingly affordable too.  The best place to stay depends on your plans but in a way, it's not terribly important.  In almost any location, you will have access to a subway station within a half mile of your hotel.  The price may be high but that is offset by the lack of a rental car expense.  I opted to stay in a section of Queens called Long Island City near the Queensboro Bridge just across the river from Manhattan.  Not a bad call.  It offered a more authentic experience away from the touristy areas but I wouldn't recommend it in the summer if you want to go to the beaches as it is a long way from Coney Island and Rockaway.    

4/19- No issues on the flight.  Landed on schedule around 5:20 local time.  I planned on a taxi to my hotel but found a bus that took me directly to a subway station and it was a short walk from there.  I had a steak dinner at my hotel's rooftop bar then returned for a after dinner drink.  In between, I took a ride to Gantry Plaza park and caught some good night skyline shots despite a bit of fog.  





4/20- Slept in a bit then hit the subway to Manhattan and the southern part of Central Park.  I was hoping to see some cherry blossoms but feared that they would be past their peak.  Not so.  It was probably the perfect time for that.  I imagine it would be beautiful in the Fall as well with the foliage. 






 By late morning, I headed north to Yankee Stadium to see a game against the Rays.  Yankees lost 2-0 and it wasn't a real exciting game but I still enjoyed being there.  It was back south to see the northern part of Central Park, which offered more cherry trees and a view of the reservoir.




  My final stop of the day was Edge Tower in Hudson Yards, which I timed perfectly.  My ticket was just before sunset, so I got to see both day and night views of the city from high above.  












4/21- NOT a good day!  I woke up at 2 AM with TERRIBLE stomach pains.  I could not go to the bathroom or get back to sleep.  I was reduced to laying in bed until 10:30 but did drag myself to Flushing for the Mets stadium tour, which counts as ballpark #16.  I got to see a lot of suites along with batting cages, dining areas and the clubhouse.  The real highlight was being allowed to sit in the dugout.  Cool. 




 I was exhausted when the tour was over and crashed in bed.  I was out cold for the next 2 hours then just rested until about 5:30 PM.  The plan was to take a sunset walk on the beach at Coney Island but that was foiled by subway maintenance issues.  I had to make repeated transfers, which took me in the wrong direction and it was already dark by the time I arrived.  Rats!  Good news was that I was starting to feel better and expected to be able to handle a full day of sightseeing tomorrow. 



4/22- Started off at Wall Street and Lower Manhattan then took a PATH train to Jersey City for perhaps the best views of Manhattan and definitely the best shot of the Statue of Liberty.  I considered Connecticut but I think New Jersey was the right call.  For the 50 staters, though I was only in New Jersey for about an hour, it counts as an official visit under the strict standard because I saw a legitimate tourist attraction.  







Next, it was the One World Observatory at the top of the World Trade Center.  I had been here 7 years ago but my pictures didn't turn out great and it was worth seeing again.  It was almost lunch time now and I traveled to Brooklyn for pizza in DUMBO (Downtown Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass).















  I took a walk down Flatbush then turned around and walked back halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge towards Manhattan.  I relaxed in my room for a bit then went back out to explore Manhattan.  I enjoyed a walking tour of Chinatown and Little Italy then hit the rooftop bar at 230 5th for some cool night shots of the Empire State Building.  Stomach was still a bit jacked up so I settled for bar food for dinner.  An excellent day.    



4/23- Nothing major to report today.  This time I opted for a cab to the airport because I didn't want to risk a SNAFU with a bus transfer.  No issues on the flight back.  



Final thought:

A good but not an all-time great trip.  There are a number of factors beyond your control that can shape your experience.  In this case, the weather wasn't great until 4/22 and the stomach issues were no fun, but I still enjoyed it overall.  I probably won't be back for a while, but I could see myself visiting in the Fall in maybe 5-10 years.    


No comments: