Monday, April 1, 2024

Training 4/1-4/7

 4/1- AM- 2 miles in 20:16 on Lakeshore (10:08 pace) Interesting.  In theory, I have everything squared away except for the adrenal balance and I'm still paying the price for overshooting on the last spike.  I was better than yesterday morning but worse than the afternoon.  I bet the Thym Adren that I took upon rising slowed me down but I'm sticking with it.  I may benefit from a few days off it but by the end of the week, I will almost certainly need it again.  Instead, by staying on the low dose, I will gradually return to the new normal without the wild swings.  Splits were 10:14-10:02.  A negative split usually means that I am improving.  May be back out in the evening.

PM- 5K on Lakeshore in 28:24 (9:07 pace).  Best time of the year by 24 seconds.  I'm within 36 of my reset PR.  Uncertified route but the Garmin distance was 3.12.  Very well paced.  Splits were 9:03-9:10-9:07-64.  I believe I hit the turnaround in 14:08 then did the back half in 14:16.  Good job.  I'm sticking with the formula.  I MUST do better than the morning session tomorrow but I don't have to set the world on fire.

Distance= 5.1

4/2- AM- Veteran's Park run before work.  1.5 miles in 13:12 (8:48 pace).  Splits were even if not slightly negative.  Think of it like this.  I was approaching the halfway point of a 5K on PR pace and was not slowing down.  Add to that, it was done on a tougher course.  Tacked on a cool down.  

The Thym Adren that I took this morning didn't hurt me.  I may have reached equilibrium.  I am afraid of another Candida dump but it should not be as severe.  Why didn't I keep going?  Gotta be cautious with the mileage.  I came back the morning after a double with 9.1 miles in the last 2 days.  That's it for today.  Storms coming.  

Distance-1.9

4/3 AM- Vestavia Mile in 7:34.0 (PR).  I believe this is my fastest time since 2021.  I reset my old records after Hawaii in 2022.  Splits were 1:49-1:55-1:58-1:52.  I didn't see my split at 200 but I'm guessing it was about 52, which was way too fast.  With better pacing, I can break 7:30.  Added a warm and cool.  Hope to run at the Shak this evening.

PM- Trak Shak Wednesday run for the first time since probably before the pandemic.  Did the 3 mile route but skipped the first hill and stopped early.  Finished with 2.5 miles in 21:22 (8:33 pace).  Pace was steady at 8:40 through 2 miles then did the last half mile in a strong 4:02.  Didn't really sprint until the last tenth of a mile.  I was WELL AHEAD of 5K PR pace today and I wasn't even close to all out until the very end.  This course is NOT legit however because of multiple traffic stops.  Again, I didn't do the the full distance because I need to be cautious about increasing the mileage too quickly.  No real ill-effects from increased training.  Knee is a tad sore but no real concern.

Distance=4.0

4/4/- Planned rest day.  11 miles in 3 days is a bit much at this stage.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'm improving rapidly but it still feels like my adrenals are sluggish.  I may try out the modulator next week.

4/5- Fort Walton run.  GPS didn't track the distance for some reason.  I turned around at 6:45 and reached the finish at 13:13 for a strong negative split.  No real effort to pick up the pace either.  Estimated distance was 1.5 and I have no complaints.  Big test this weekend.

Distance= 1.5

4/6- Mountain Brook 10K.  25 laps on the track in 60:44 (PR).  (9:46 pace).  Thought I had a chance at the sub-60 but came up short.  It's not rocket science.  10-15 MPW just won't cut it.  I still cut a full 2 minutes off my previous best.  

I went out at 8:40 pace for the first half mile and knew it was stupid fast but couldn't slow down.  Settled in by Mile 2 and the laps never got much worse than 2:30.  Quarter splits were 14:20- 15:18- 15:44- 15:22.  Final lap was 2:16.  

Missed the goal but only 1.8 seconds per lap or 130 meters.  I'll try for the 5K PR next week.

Distance-6.5

4/7- 1 mile recovery jog at Montreat in 8:36.  Switched to the modulator and it's too soon to say whether or not it's a good call.  I expected to be worthless after yesterday, but my legs had surprisingly decent pop.  My wind wasn't great though and I was out of breath on the first lap.  Splits were 4:21-4:15 so I picked it up a tad without even trying.  This felt sustainable for a 5K.  If I can do that, it would bring me home under 27 despite not being fresh.

-20 miles on the week.  Could have done more but must be cautious.  I'll shoot for 22 next week then hold it around 25 for a few weeks.

No comments: