Sunday, August 2, 2009

training 8/2-8/8

8/2- Another bad day. Very scary afternoon low kept me in bed for a couple of hours then broke down and took an extra taurine, which helped. Thought I may have gone too far with that but when I tried to run, I felt like I didn't take enough. Good start but I was fading by the middle of Mile 2. This was a planned 5 mile easy run and went out too fast (14:25 through 2). I should have been cruising but was fading instead so I stopped, took a break and ran a Mile as fast as I could, which was a 6:12. I could have been under 6 fresh but not under 5:45. Clearly off. Panic attack after dinner for no reason other than imbalances
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance-3.5
8/3- Lakeshore 6 @ 7:58 pace. Decent easy workout. Aimed for 7:45-8:15 and hit the target. Slowed just a tad in the 2nd half. I wasn't hurting too badly but at this pace, it should have been effortless. Still not bad and an improvement over yesterday.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0
8/4- Pretty good speed workout. 5x600 in 1:59 (5:18 pace) with short and passive recoveries. Dave made me lead all 5 and I was reeling heading into the last 800, which I ran in a hard fought 2:46 (10 seconds behind). Then, I allowed myself to recover and sprinted a 200 with close competition in a self-timed 28.6 (got beat by about 0.1 second). I don't think I could have run 59.9 today if I had tried and my 3rd and final attempt will be this month before I jack up the mileage and reduce speedwork.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.0
8/5-Strong Trak Shak run. Flatter course than I normally run but turned in a 6.25 @ 7:11 pace. That's better than BQ pace so I am pleased. Felt good. Ran ahead of Adam and Jason. That's 25 seconds down on my goal 10K race pace. That's about where I should be at tempo effort.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=6.5
8/6- Easy few miles or rest day? I'm opting for the rest. The plan is to make another attempt at 59.9 tomorrow. If I finish between 60.0-60.9, I'll take another shot. Otherwise, it's wait 'til next year. I do want to try an 800 and a 2 Mile in addition to the sub-5:20 Mile.
8/7- Mountain Brook 400 in 61.63 (fastest time since '99). Managed to trim 1/4 of a second off my previous time. Serious case of the jitters before the start which really didn't go away after it was over. Tried to do a long cool down and was out of breath immediately. I was clearly just a bit off form. I've done this 3 times and all 3 times, I was "off form" just enough to prevent me from reaching the goal. Forget what I said about wait 'til next year. I'm taking one more shot at this and I mean, only one more shot. I admit that 59.9 has turned into an obsession and I can't do this too often or it will hurt my training in the long run. I'm going long tomorrow.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=2.0
8/8- Lakeshore 15 @ 8:05 average. Solid effort. 3-12 were all between 8 and 8:15 then turned it up a notch to run the final 3 in 7:53-7:32-6:56. Heat was starting to get to me at the end so I'm glad that this wasn't a 20 miler. I did hydrate well. A little stiff in the calf and achilles tendon so I may rest tomorrow.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance= 15.0
Weekly summary: Not very high mileage but in terms of pace, it was one of my most intense on record with only 1 truly easy day out of 6. I can't keep training like this year round. Come September, I'll be in half marathon mode again.
Distance= 36.0/ GPA= 34.2/11= 3.11

No comments: