Monday, February 8, 2010

training 2/8-2/14 race week after all.. NOT!

2/8- Vestavia Mile. Time was 6:10.5 (best time of the year). Ran in racing flats and had no pain until I got on my toes and tried to sprint home. The pain went away as soon as I went back to flat footed running. Again, I will not yet declare myself healthy but I am optimistic this time around.
Splits: 1:32-1:35-1:33-1:30.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=1.5

2/9- Veterans Park 4 in 29:19 (7:20 pace). Ran in my normal training shoes without orthotics. I had no trace of tarsal tunnel pain and minimal Achilles pain. Faded badly in the 2nd half. Splits were 14:15-15:04. That's still 18 seconds per mile better than last week. Can I hold up for another 9 miles? I don't know. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. I will come to a "go/no go" decision by Friday.
Grade:C/2 credits/distance=4.0

2/10- Trak Shak 3.5 in 27:35 (7:53 pace). I slowed down today but it wasn't enough. I felt the pain towards the end of Mile 3 and it gradually got worse so I shut it down and completed the demoralizing 1.5 mile walk back. I am out for Mercedes and Atlanta is questionable. Groin was sore as well. I'm going for prolotherapy in Nashville on Tuesday.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=3.5

2/11- Planned rest day

2/12- Unplanned rest day.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

2/13- Rest day before my scheduled marathon PR attempt. I would have broken 3:25. What a bust! I did get some new orthotics at the expo. They're not custom made but supposedly suitable for my foot type. Hopefully, they will do. A podiatrist is liable to tell me to use his orthotics even though I will tell him explicitly that they won't work. Not a total waste.

2/14- Mercedes Marathon- 2nd DNS in as many races. It's bad enough that I'm lonely on this day. This is a double whammy.
Grade:F/4 credits/distance=0

Weekly summary:
I hardly overdid it on the training. My body has failed me again. What a roller coaster! After Monday, I felt vindicated then got knocked down again. Regardless of whether the orthotics played a role in the AT or not, I have to deal with this injury. I will post a report on prolotherapy next week but there will be no more training log posts for another 4 weeks regardless of the outcome. After that point, I have 2 weeks to get ready to suck in Atlanta but I just want to participate. I don't care if it takes me 2 hours to finish as long as it is injury free.
Distance= 9.0/ GPA= 6.6/9= 0.73

No comments: