Monday, June 14, 2010

training 6/14-6/20

6/14- Went to the doctor and it was actually a good call. This description will be short and sweet: Diagnosis was an upper respiratory infection and based on the blood work, the doc thinks that it is bacterial. I had bronchitis last winter and it also started with a nasty sore throat. I may have caught this before it developed into something worse. No fever. No elevated pulse or BP. Weight: 151 (lost 3 lbs). The best news was that my chest was clear. I do have a little bit of coughing but no dry hacking fits that left my lungs raw. Solution: Z-Pak antibiotics. It's only a 5 day course so hopefully it won't be too bad. Last time I took antibiotics, my diarrhea was so bad that I thought I had a colon infection. Yes, I have clearance to do some light workouts as tolerated so today I hit the 'mill for an easy 2.5 @ 8:00 pace with a short cool down in the parking lot.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

6/15- Woke up feeling really weak from the Z-Pak but improved as the day progressed. By 5, I felt good enough to do Johnny's workout albeit not all out. 400-DNS (late), 800-2:55, 1200-4:30, 1600- 5:58. Overall pace was 5:58. Well back of my normal pace but much improved over the previous day. Long cool down.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=5.0 (grade is a little lenient)

6/16- 6AM run on Lakeshore. Did not try to run with Adam and Eric. 5 miles at tempo effort but not tempo pace. Time was 37:28 and needed a good finish to come in below 7:30 pace. No PM run due to drive home.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.0

6/17- Unplanned rest day. Slept too long and just didn't have time in the afternoon or evening. No big deal.

6/18- 5 mile time trial with a moving time of 34:53 (6:59 pace). A full 2 minutes down on my PR but clearly a positive step. Took the last of the antibiotics today with no significant issues. Legs were there but breathing was not. I was out of breath within a 1/4 mile so my respiratory system is still wounded but at least there was no coughing fit. Pace was pretty even: 6:58-6:56-7:06-7:08-6:45
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.0

6/19- Struggled out there in the heat. No water on the run, 80 degrees and sunny outside. Maybe hurting a bit after yesterday's time trial. Hoped to run 10 easy and only managed 7. 1st half was a smooth and relaxed 7:40-7:45 pace then faded. Fortunately, it was not a crash and burn type of day. I managed to hold a sub-8 pace with effort and finished with an overall 7:52 pace. That's acceptable for an easy run but this was not an easy effort.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=7.0

6/20- No time to run due to drive home.

Weekly summary:
This was a recovery week and I really wasn't expecting much. My next race is Peachtree and I should do well but I can't hope for a PR. I am a bit frustrated by these annoying setbacks. This low mileage just won't do either.
Distance= 25.0/ GPA= 17.1/7= 2.44

No comments: