Wednesday, June 23, 2010

training 6/21-6/27

6/21- Another unplanned rest day. Neck was too stiff and the pounding from running caused pain that was too intense to run through. It would not have been a good run anyway because I took too much GABA. ARRGGH! I feel like I'm really losing my mojo now.

6/22- Neck pain was still there but today I could ignore it on the run. 2.5 on the 'mill at easy effort and finished around 19:30 (7:48 pace). Took a hot bath and just relaxed for the rest of the evening. Hope to get a decent workout tomorrow. Do I take 750 mg of GABA (500 isn't enough, 1000 is too much) or 2 glutamine? I will try both options and take whatever make me feel best and reduces my dependence on taurine. Still struggling a bit emotionally.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=2.5

6/23- Went with glutamine in the morning and it was a pretty good day. Trak Shak 5 at "hard tempo" Good start but faded in the 2nd half. Weather was 92 and dry. Splits were 6:42-6:42-6:47-7:15-7:10= 34:37. Probably my best run since the infection. Neck pain is nearly gone. Yes!
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.5

6/24- Mediocre short intervals. 200-35, 300-56, 400-75, 300-56, 200-33. Overall pace was around 4:50. GABA and glutamine cannot be taken in the same day! Short distances were not horrible but if this were a long run, it really would have sucked. Too much GABA doesn't cause fatigue or depression but it does cause anxiety and shortness of breath. Try running at 7,000 ft. without the benefits of thin air and that's about how it felt.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=2.0

6/25- Run under a time crunch. Vestavia Mile in 5:26.8 (best time of the year). 2 ticks better than last time but still a tough 11 away from my goal. Again, the first and last 200 were strong but the middle was a struggle 79-84-86-77. Both halves were 2:43 and I like that but I can't say the pace was even. I need long intervals to build my strength for both the Mile and 5K. Still 4 seconds down on last year's time.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=1.5

6/26- Finally managed a double digit run for the first time in a long time but I did have to divide it up. Ran with a group that included Cary but I took off on my own after Mile 5. Averaged about 8:20 through the first 9 with the weather at 75 and humid then stopped to drink and had nothing left after that. Slogged through 2 more at glacial pace. Poor performance. Took glutamine in the evening and taurine in the morning and it did not work.
Grade:D+/2 credits/distance=11.0

6/27- AM-Another bad day. ARRGH! Slept in until 8:30 and dreamed about having my pants stolen and walking around a department store in my underwear while being made fun of by my friend and co-worker. Workout was an easy Veteran's Park run. Started off okay then died. Splits were 7:38-7:51-4:06 then got disgusted and quit. Yes, the humidity was tough but I should not have been this bad. Perhaps the excess GABA has yet to clear my system.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=2.5
PM- step in the right direction. 3 miles at Vestavia in 20:50 with an 80 second last go round. I waited until 7:30 and it was still about 85 and steamy. I'm considering joining a gym so I can use an indoor track. I feel like the GABA has mostly cleared my system.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.5

Weekly summary: Another down week with unacceptably low mileage. There are signs of breaking out of this slump. I still don't know whether to take 750 of GABA or 1.5 of glutamine but I do know that they can't be taken together. No further comments.
Distance=28.5/ GPA= 22.8/10= 2.28

No comments: