Monday, October 4, 2010

training 10/4-10/10 (race week... maybe)

10/4- Tried some Lithium, which didn't work then tried some tyrosine and Vitamin C to kickstart the adrenals. The pills left me as stiff as a board with shortness of breath. Actually, this is a relief. I endured a rough 24-36 hours until it cleared my system but the peace of mind knowing that I am still free from those pills was worth it. The attempted workout was a downward ladder. Mile: 7:08, 800: 3:18, 400: 89. No typos. That was as fast as I could go unbalanced. The excess should clear by tomorrow.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=2.0

10/5- AM workout before waiting to hear about from the doc. 3 mile tempo at Vestavia HS with a bathroom break. Time was 20:30 (6:50 pace) with a final lap in 93 seconds. Splits were 6:59-6:50-6:41. The poison had still not completely cleared my system but I was clearly better than I was just over 12 hours ago. No evening workout only because I have a race this week. Groin/hip was much better. The race is a "go" for Saturday. One irritation was that when the doctor finally called around 11 AM, the news was that there would be no prolotherapy appointments available for the next 4 weeks. This winter, I was able to get one in 2 days and there were numerous slots the next week as well. Something seems fishy there. Perhaps, he's busier in the Fall treating football injuries.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=3.0

10/6- Trak Shak 5. The plan was to run the first 4 at goal half mary pace (7:00) then sprint the last mile in less than 6 minutes. I quickly settled into 6:45 pace and felt fine. 1st 4 miles were very even (6:45-6:45-6:44-6:49) to hit the 4 mile mark in a strong 27:03. As planned, I had another gear for Mile 5. I could not manage sub-6 pace but turned in a solid 6:08, which is faster than my 5K PR pace. Final stats were an overall time of 33:11, which is an average pace of 6:38. That's comparable to my 10K PR pace of 6:36, which was run at an even pace. This is a huge confidence boost for race day. I may not PR but should run well. The groin was mildly tender and it's unlikely that it will be 100% until after prolotherapy. That could hurt me but it wasn't 100% in Baton Rouge last year either and I still smashed my PR.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=6.0

10/7- Scheduled rest day, feel pretty good. I'm going into the race with low-balled expectations but will not count myself out. Despite recent sub-par workouts, I am just 3 weeks removed from the best training of my life. I was doing great the week before Nashville but come race day, I was awful. In contrast, leading up to Mercedes '09, I was horrible but then proceeded to run a 6.5 minute PR so you never know.
Sub-1:30 is a pipe dream so I won't even list it here.
A goal: sub-7 pace (1:31:30) is a long shot
B goal:PR by even 1 second (7:05 pace) or 1:32:56
C goal: BQ pace for 13.1 (1:35:30)
D goal: beat my best time of the year (1:37:55) set on a tough Atlanta course after coming off the Achilles injury.
Anything less than that would be considered a failure though I do not give myself an "F" in a race unless I DNF it. I could limp to the line in over 2 hours and I get a D minus.

10/8- 1 mile worth of junk and a couple of strides.
Grade: Pass/ 0 credit/distance=1.0

10/9- Run for Life half in 1:34:47 (#2 all time), best time of the year.
Grade:B/4 credits/distance=14.0

10/10- Left knee is too sore for even a recovery jog. This is abnormal soreness and feels like a chromium/manganese deficiency. Can I fix it by adjusting my diet or do I need pills again?
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

Weekly summary:
Third straight week below 30 miles. If I can't get this turned around soon, not only will I not BQ, I won't even PR at Huntsville.
Distance=26.0/ GPA= 22.0/9= 2.44

No comments: