Monday, June 13, 2011

Training 6/13-6/19

6/13- Easy 8 in 60:54 (7:37 pace). 1st mile was 7:22 but after that I was pretty even. 1st half: 30:15, 2nd half 30:39. Very strong performance. I could have gone 13 at this pace and it still would have felt comfy. This is 3:20 full mary pace. Cool down was a tribute to Ochocinco again. This does exceed the speed limit for an easy day and I hope it doesn't bite me later in the week.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=8.5

6/14- Johnny's workout as planned. I expected it to be short and fast but it was surprisingly long. At least I knew what was coming all along. (800-400) x 4. Very consistent splits and never felt terribly uncomfortable. 800s were all 2:43-2:44. 400s were 74-74-74-70. The goal was a 2:45 average in the 800s and a 75 in the 400s and I beat that comfortably. Total time was 15:47 for 3 miles worth of intervals (5:16 pace). Recoveries were generous however so it wasn't as good as it looks on paper. Temp was in the low-mid 90s.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=5.0

6/15- Tempo. Trak Shak 5 in 94 degree weather. Time of 34:03 (6:49 pace) does not include extended drink stops. I'm crazy to push in this weather but I am not stupid. Quite pleased with this workout and I've earned a day off tomorrow. 1 mile cool. Still on track for over 40.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=6.0

6/16- Planned rest day. If I had gone continuous yesterday, my time projects to a PR in optimal temps. I was pushing hard but it was not a "race level" effort but then again, I had 3 fairly lengthy drink stops. I don't feel half bad today but it's a good call to rest. It may very well catch up with me tomorrow. Hoping to restrain myself during the easy miles then run a few sprints at the end.

6/17- Not a surprise. The delayed onset muscle soreness hit me hard today. Struggled through an easy 5 at Vestavia. This was probably my most unpleasant run in the last 2 weeks. Weather conditions were cool but humid. Time was 39:37 (7:55 pace) and my splits were fairly even. I was hoping to get some 200s in after this but with no power in my legs, I had to bag it. Last night, I dreamed that I was hanging out at an arcade with teenagers and I supplied them with alcohol right out in the open. I would not be surprised to have another dream tonight.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.5

6/18- Group run in near 100% humidity. Survived a 13.5 mile trek through the hilly streets of Mountain Brook but my body feels like it took a caning. Uneven pace mostly because I followed whoever was leading the group at the time. Some 18:30 5K guys picked up the pace at the end but I got dropped. I don't feel bad about that because I dropped everyone slower than I. Average pace was 7:54. Fastest mile was 7:09, slowest was 8:31. Earlier this summer, I vowed not to go over 10 on a hot or humid day. I broke it today and paid the price. Those last 3 mile were tough. The good news is that my weekly mileage will be high again.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=13.5

6/19- Slept in a bit and opted for an easy 6 indoors plus a cool down. It was fairly comfortable but not effortless. Time was 46:42 (7:47 avg). Even pace with a mild fade in Mile 5 (23:18/23:24). No complaints about this one but I'm clearly beat up and need a cut back. I dreamed that I was back in high school and had 2 long term papers due the same day, could not get either one done and flipped out on a teacher for piling on the work.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
I reached 45 miles again with very little cut back on quality. Great start to the week but tailed off later and am showing signs of breaking down. I will cut back next week and may enter a local 5K before heading down to the coast if it's not brutally hot and humid. Speaking of which, the first half of June was abnormally hot but at least it was dry. Now, the humidity has kicked in and it's going to be rough. It will only get worse for the next 6 weeks and it may not even begin to subside until mid August. Even after a cooling rain, the decrease in air temperature is nearly offset by high humidity. Still, no need for chromium for an entire month. I DECLARE MYSELF CHEMICALLY STABLE!
Distance=45.0/GPA= 29.8/9= 3.31

No comments: