Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Training 6/27-7/3

6/27- A.M.- Slept in a bit and I was not about to fight that heat. Easy 3 on the 'mill with a time of 23:24 (7:48 pace). That's about all that I can stand to do on a machine.
P.M- Red flag on the beach and that meant rough surf and tons of fun with the boogie board. Man, I almost forgot how much fun that thing is. Amazingly, after fighting the rough surf all day in the sun and eating dinner, which included a mixed drink, I was able to run fairly well. At 7:30 in the evening, I ran 3 miles in what was still quite uncomfortable conditions with a time of 21:18 (7:06 pace) on the U.S. 98 sidewalk. It was almost tempo effort but not tempo pace. All thinks considered however, I'll cut myself some slack.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

6/28- Stole an extra hour in the surf before check out then took a side trip to the Flora-Bama lounge for lunch. Flora-Bama is your typical beach lunch fare with a wide variety of drinks. The food is nothing special but what makes it cool is that the establishment is not only on the beach but literally on the Florida/Alabama line. It is also a popular place for live bands in the evening. Drove back to the 'Ham and got in by evening and without even stopping back home, I got out of the car for an easy 7 in 53:28 (7:38 pace). Low 7:30s felt nearly effortless but I still backed off a tad. This run was great but once again, I might pay for it down the road.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=7.0

6/29- Trak Shak 8 at a moderate pace. It was actually 8.04 with a time of 58:46 (7:19 pace) in 90 degree weather. That's the equivalent of a sub-7 in optimal conditions. This was just shy of tempo effort. I did get to run with a buddy today and that was cool. Solid but not stellar performance. I'm racking up the mileage this week. I must back off if I am to be fresh for Peavine. Even pace except for the tough 7th mile and I had something left at the end.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=8.0

6/30- Easy 7 indoors and the cruise control was working well. Time was 53:56 (7:42 pace). Slightly fatigued but I was not struggling in the least. Took about a 15 minute rest then ran some hard 200s at Vestavia. Times were 34-34-32-30 (32 avg-roughly 4;20 pace). I was hoping for a little faster but realistically I was too tired and did not warm up for the sprints. I have run 1,049 miles in the first half of the year and my GPA stands at 2.97 but that's rising fast.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=8.0

7/1- Planned rest day. My body is reeling from the effort this week but it's not exhausted. I want to do more short intervals this coming month. Long and EASY tomorrow and yes, I plan to run with the back of the pack in the group run. I'm in for Peavine on the 4th.

7/2- BAD morning. I slept in and missed the group run but I would not have been able to do it anyway. Planned on 10 miles at 8:15-8:30 and had to settle for Lakeshore 5 in a turtle time of 43:21 (8:42 pace). I'm pretty sure that the problem was the calcium supplement that contains glutamic acid. I tried to pick up the pace several times and each time I was able to do so for a couple of minutes then got stuck back in the rut. This should clear my system by the evening.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=5.0

PM- Indoor 6 in 47:16 (7:53 pace). Much better but still quite sore.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

7/3- Planned rest day. Should be okay for Peavine.

Weekly summary:
Saturday's debacle really put a damper on what would have been a very good week overall. The medical report should arrive by the end of next week and I am afraid that I am not out of the woods yet.
Distance=40.0/ GPA= 3.00

No comments: