Monday, January 16, 2012

Training 1/16-1/22

1/16- My critics and cynics do not believe that anyone who has had adrenal fatigue can train like I do. My response is that nothing is impossible. Others doubted that I would improve significantly when off the pills because my condition was simply "a manageable fatigue" not the chemical instability that I describe. I must admit that this latest hot streak is so amazing that even I am speechless. Then again, God is able. I never had any doubt of that. Today, I had the day off work for MLK day and took advantage of the opportunity to do a MLR in the daylight. I took off at 6:50 pace and never slowed down. Well, maybe a little in Mile 8-9 but only because of the hills. I proceeded to bounce back with a 6:30 finish in which I showed no real sprinting form. Final time was 68:20 (6:50 pace). That's a PR with an asterisk. I did stop for a few minutes in Mile 5 after I felt a slight twinge in my Achilles Tendon, which proved to be of no concern. Added a Mile cool down. MUST go easier tomorrow. No more than 5, preferably no faster than 7:30 pace.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=11.0

1/17- Easy 5 indoors in 37 flat (7:24 pace). Again, that's over a minute per mile slower than race pace at this distance. Very strong, smooth and relaxed. Nearly painless. Even pace. No faster than 7:22 or slower than 7:27. 1st half was 18:30, 2nd half was 18:30. I have capped the mileage at 42 for the week before the race. I am now in semi-taper mode with 12 days until race day. I remain confident and predict a sub-1:30 but won't go any further than that.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=5.5

1/18- Moderate 5 at the Shak followed by a fast finish. Audit assignment enabled me to do this one in the daylight. I covered 5.75 miles @ 6:56 pace overall. First 5 were all in the low 7s then kicked it in for the final .75 @ 5:50 pace and I only showed sprinting form in the final .25, which was run @ 5:20-5:30 pace slightly uphill. Added 2 laps around Soho block for a cool down. Yet again, amazing and unbelievable. 1 workout to go (easy 6) before I hit full blown taper mode. Need to be more careful with race day so close. I am a bit sore but nothing unusual. Just need to survive one more day and I'm golden. I want to shoot for 7:45 pace. Plan to rest Friday with no long run this weekend.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=6.5

1/19- Easy 6 in 45:52 (7:38 pace). Slight fade. (22:50-23:02) and that ends the streak of "A" workouts. I've now done 58 miles in the past 7 days. That's just 2 away from the "red flag" aka "danger zone." That's why the pace was slower. Once again, if I was running 70+ MPW, my paces would be in line with McMillan but I choose not to subject myself to that for reasons I discussed earlier. I have completed the training. 10 days out now and I am now in full blown taper mode. Dreamed that I ran in a 10 Mile race that ended with an indoor maze going through a building. I surged near the end to take the lead and would have won but could not find the finish line. LOL! I need to rest.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/20- Planned rest day. I will attend the BTC annual party.

1/21- Not good. Even after the rest day, I was still sore and gassed. I cut the run to 4 miles and finished with a time of 30:56 (7:44 pace). Faded badly after Mile 2 (15:18-15:38). Fortunately, there is an explanation. I did not start this run until almost 11 AM and did not eat anything in the morning. Bad call there. No major concern yet. If I do not feel fresh tomorrow, that will be very worrisome.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=4.5

1/22- Moderate 6 in 43:17 (7:13 pace). Even pace, felt good all the way. Yesterday's poor effort proved to be of no concern. Still a bit sore but my energy was back to normal. I admit that I over reached in training the last 2.5 weeks but I've got another week to get fresh.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
Very good week overall despite the hiccup on Saturday. Let the taper madness begin. I plan to rest every other day until race day. It's now been 3 weeks since I was freed from the Thym-Adren. Back in the Fall of 2010, I had 5 weeks of freedom then suffered a nasty relapse. If I can make it 3 more weeks, my fears and doubts will greatly diminish.
Distance= 40.0/ GPA= 28/8= 3.50

No comments: