Monday, October 1, 2012

Training 10/1-10/7

10/1- Strong MLR on Lakeshore.  Finished 10 miles in 73:05 (7:18 pace).  That's just shy of GMP.  A little sluggish early but I was really in the groove later.  Mile 10 was a comfortable 6:54.  I think I could have been sub-7:15 without much more effort if not for the windy conditions.  Feeling more like the Crazy J of old. Passed 1,500 miles on the year.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=10.0

10/2- Easy 7 in 52:28 (7:30 pace).  Standard issue workout.  Nothing overly exciting to report but tacked on more miles than usual.  Solid performance.  This week is front loaded because I won't be able to run much this weekend.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

10/3- AM- Morning Gnome run on Lakeshore.  Ended up with 6.5 miles plus a cool down in a time of 48:44 (7:30 pace).  Once again, in a group run, paces are all over the place.  Mile 1 was over 8 but the lead group dipped below my GMP on Mile 3.  I went rogue in the 2nd half and went steady 7:30 (+/- 2 seconds) the rest of the way.  Slight groin soreness is the reason this was not an "A" but it was enough to clinch a 2.25 GPA for the year.  A solid finish this week will pull me back over 3.00 on the year thus far.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=7.0

PM- Trak Shak 5 at tempo effort.  Legs were tired but that was no surprise.  My time was a solid 33:13 (6:38 pace) with a good finish.  There are 3 traffic stops on this run so it doesn't count as a PR but with the rolling hills, it usually comes out pretty even.  Quality of my performance was about equal to the morning but since it's my 2nd run, I'll be a little lenient with the grade.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=5.5

10/4- After a double that included a tempo, I would certainly suck today, right?  WRONG!  Mountain Brook 6.5 mile route that included Brownell to Canterbury and Jemison trail in a time of 47:58 (7:23 pace).  Started too fast especially on the hills in the first half.  I was at marathon pace for the first 3 miles then dialed it back to the standard 7:30 pace.  When I am symptom free, this type of training really is NOT THAT HARD!  If I could avoid a relapse, I have no doubt that I will be well under 19:00/40:00 and yes 3:10 BQ within a year.  Added a half mile cool.  Hit 60 miles in the past 7 days, which is my upper limit.  I am not expecting much tomorrow.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

10/5- Easy 3 in 21:56 indoors (7:19 pace).  I wanted to run 5 but was pressed for time.  Drove to Cincy in the afternoon.  Hit 40 on the week so I can take the weekend completely off if I choose.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.0

10/6- Planned rest day.  In Cincy (actually northern Kentucky). 

10/7- No good places to run where I am staying.  It is true that the best views of Cincinnati are from Kentucky.  I expected few chances to run so that's why the week was front loaded.  I was able to squeeze in 2 miles on the 'mill at a recovery jog (junk pace).  Again, if I'm short of 2K heading into the last week of the year, I'll be glad I did this.
Grade:None/0 credit/distance=2.0

Weekly summary:
  Back on track now with back to back winning weeks.  I might even re-start some speed next week if I feel up to it.  Back to Birmingham tomorrow and back to my routine.  Racing schedule is a bit uncertain.  Charlotte is the most likely half.  Greenville is about 50/50 but if I run there, I may have to skip Vulcan.  I will probably do a local 5K in December. YTD=1536. Yearly GPA is back to a 3.00
Distance=42.0/ GPA=28.5/8= 3.56
 

1 comment:

Yo Momma Runs said...

Wow! Great week of training so far. It's great to hear that you are feeling back to your old self again. The group runs make it hard to get the right pace, but I like the safety-in-numbers factor. And that was an awesome Trak Shak run!

Does this mean we won't see you out on Saturday?